Sign in to follow this  
richn

Front strut top mounts - should they look like this?

Got a 2.0 16v, 90k on original springs, dampers and bushes.

In the engine bay, at the top of the front struts, first there's the chassis metal, then a big rubber bush, then a pressed steel cup. The top of the strut pokes up throught he middle of all of this and a nut is on its threaded end, locking it againsst the steel cup.

On my car, there's a gap of 10-12mm between the chassis and the bottom of the rubber bush, which just looks *wrong*. If I raise the car up on a jack, the strut falls down and the gap disappears.

Is this what they're supposed to be like? Just doesn't seem right to me!

Rich.

i think that is supposed to be like that. mine does that the same.

if in doubt get some new top mounts, only about £10 but you'd have to strip the suspension to fit them.

mine is like that and i have just put new ones on! :shock:

I don't like the way it looks i even to it off again and checked that i had put it back together correctly!

Hi richn, bit confused (well I am gettin on a bit) by your description which seems to suggest that the rubber mount is above the bodywork. From what I can gather you are looking down onto the top of the strut from inside the engine bay. The rubber top mounting (which also carries a bearing) is fitted onto the top of the damper piston above the spring and spring top plate. When you offer this up to the mounting hole from under the wing and push it upwards, the rubber mounting will fit right up against the bodywork (but inside the wheel well). As you say, the top plate then drops over the damper piston and held on with a nut. There will be a gap (varies abit depending on model and type of mountings used) between this top plate and the bodywork. When you take the load off the strut (ie jack the car up) the strut will drop a bit and the top plate then rests on the bodywork - basically it just stops the strut dropping through the hole. If this is what you meant then its quite normal.

hth