skinnyman9000

Guide to removing body panels?

Chaps.

Tomorrow i need to remove the following:

Bonnet

Wings

Doors

Bumpers

Is there a guide anywhere as to how to remove these items? Despite having the rado for several years ive never actually removed any of the body panels.

Ta muchly.

Are you planning on putting them back on again? That's the harder bit!

Only done the doors on the Corrado, but I've done all the other bits on the MK2 which can't be *that* different...

Bonnet is fairly straight forward - undo everything connected to it (washer jets, heated washer jet loom, earth strap), and then undo the bolts that attach the hingest to the bonnet - on the MK2 I think there are 2 10mm or 2 13mm bolts on each hinge. It's best to leave it propped up on the bonnet stay, and to put some cardboard on your scuttle so you have somewhere to rest it once it is loosened and you're taking the bolts out.

Not completely sure about the bumper, but if it is like most other VWs of the era, then there are 4 17mm bolts holding the bumper onto the chassis leg and subframe. Can be a bit of a pig to remove if they've seized. There's also a 13mm bolt between the 2 17mm - don't remove this as it is now the only thing holding the subframe to the car! Disconnect the wiring for the fogs and indicators first. Once the bolts are out it should slide forward off the wing mounts

Wings can be a bit of a nightmare - there are several bolts along the top, and then a few under the arch liner up the A-pillar, and one under the sill. The tricky bit is cutting through all the underseal between the wing and A-pillar

For the doors, take the doorcards off, disconnect all the wiring and thread it through the hole in the door where it enters. Undo the check strap (10mm I think?) then two 15mm bolts hold the door to the hinges. It's really a two-man job, though I managed on my own with the help of a trolley jack to hold the door up.

Most panel bolts aren't too tight and should come off okay. Be warned though that it'll take a lot of time to realign the panels when you put them back on.

Thankyou very much pal that'll be a massive help tomorrow!

The car is being broken, so thank god nothing is going back on. It's amazing how fast you can take things off when you dont need to consider how everything goes back together!