jcab121

smell of petrol

when i start my car in the morning it really smells of petrol, and then it stops after about 2 miles, and it's like it's only firing on only 3 clyinders. and that stops when the car is warm.

is this a recent issue? or has it always been there or got worse over time etc

possibly when its cold the injector seals are hard and leak. once warmed up they become soft enough to seal again?

anther possibility is a faulty cold start injector if its a 8v or 16v

let us know your engine and some better details so someone else can give some better advice.

is this a recent issue? or has it always been there or got worse over time etc

possibly when its cold the injector seals are hard and leak. once warmed up they become soft enough to seal again?

anther possibility is a faulty cold start injector if its a 8v or 16v

let us know your engine and some better details so someone else can give some better advice.

I'm just got a g60 and on the frozen days its been running early morning (screen blower on full etc) there is a heavy petrol smell) This is the only few occasions this has been the case, when the car is stone cold frozen. Could I hijack this thread a little and ask for more info on the cold start injector. Its position and possible faults? Thanks, hopefully get us all sorted.

had the same problem with my g60. thought it was because i had deleted the boost return at first. then after searching the forum i found a bit on the fuel hoses. turned the ignition on and wobbled the hose on the right of the head,it was pumping petrol all over the exhaust manifold. thankfully it didnt go on fire. check all your fuel hoses.

I'm just got a g60 and on the frozen days its been running early morning (screen blower on full etc) there is a heavy petrol smell) This is the only few occasions this has been the case, when the car is stone cold frozen. Could I hijack this thread a little and ask for more info on the cold start injector. Its position and possible faults? Thanks, hopefully get us all sorted.

I don't think you'll have a CSI on a G60. Your best bet is to check the rubber fuel lines which are around / connect to the fuel rail. I know they can perish and make the inside smell like petrol.

Ive had one corrado go up in flames because of fuel leak, so i would highly recomend changing them hoses and quickly!

Mine was due to an animal eating thru line tho.But i had same prob as you a year before.99% certain its the U bend one as mentioned at the right side of the fuel rail.Simple,change it or this will happen-

cheers what that also cause the misfiring when cold

I suspect you might have a leaking injector or injectors - which causes the strong smell of fuel and misfiring from cold, as the engine is essentially flooded with fuel.