stevej

what to go for ?

Will be looking to get a new daily hopefully at some point in the near future.

thinking about a Mk1 TT, mk 4 R32 or Mk 5 GTI . my preference would be the TT.

any thoughts / input appreciated

cheers

Mk 5 GTI. Better economy than the others and just as fast as the R32 with a remap. Looks great and is practical/comfy. Don't really like the MK1 TT- think it's a hairdresser's car... but that's just my opinion. I know they're pretty reliable and well built, just not my cuppa.

I'd say mk5 out of those too. The TT is a lovely car (I've had two) but very similar in concept to a corrado. Why have two similar cars? So a golf would be more practical. the R32 is also a great car but the mk5 gti is also great and cheaper to run.

I'd say mk5 out of those too. The TT is a lovely car (I've had two) but very similar in concept to a corrado. Why have two similar cars? So a golf would be more practical. the R32 is also a great car but the mk5 gti is also great and cheaper to run.

maybe that's why I would rather have the TT as my circumstances have changed and am having to sell my corrado - not to worried about practicality as it will be a second car so size not really imrportant. If I go for the TT was thinking of a 225 c.f 3.2 - what did you have ? could pick up a higher mileage one for not too much - anything specific to look out for in your experience ?

cheers

Well if it's instead of a Corrado then a TT probably makes more sense. The mk1's really are cheap now and they can be lovely cars. They obviously suffer a little from the hairdresser jokes but I think that's unjustified. The two I had were a long time ago when they had recently been launched. Both 1.8t 225 coupe's. The first was a couple of years old and the next was new (the only car I've ever bought new - and I sold it back to the dealer a year later for nearly the same money).

The build quality is very good indeed and the cabin is a lovely place to sit. The rear seats may as well not be there. You need your legs amputated to use them. But the fronts are very comfortable and the equipment level is quite high. There aren't really many optional extras because they had most things as standard, especially on the 225's. But desirable options at the time seemed to be Bose upgraded audio, xenon headlights and the 18" alloys on the slightly facelifted model. I can't remember when the facelift came in but is was two or three years after launch and the only differences were, I think, lower suspension and larger 18" 9 spoke alloys. The suspension on the faceliften model is arguably a little harsh for UK roads but it looks nicer especially on the alloys. Also note that there were a lot of aftermarket clones of those alloys so older pre-facelifted cars will probably have them.

Generally they are reliable I think. The on;y issues I recall at the time were a high rate of coilpack failures (common across all 1.8t cars from that period) and the usual VAG weakness of dodgy electrics. One issue often seen on them in the day was a self opening window. Owners would often come back to find the window dropped a couple of inches. I've actually been considering one again now as they are very cheap. And another common complaint nowadays seems to be some rust around the rear number plate (I think) and instrument pod failures.

Overally I think they are very good cars that are often overlooked because of the image they now have. But I'd definitely have one again. I would probably not get the 3.2 though; it isn't much faster because the engine is heavier, it understeers and while it does make a great sound it will be more expensive on insurance and petrol. The 1.8t can be tuned easily with a remap anyway.

As with any older, cheaper, reasonably fast car, check history and be aware many have probably been abused.