jakegti

momo horn doesnt work

hi, ive fitted a momo steering wheel and boss but the horn doesnt work. ive got one wire that comes from inside the boss (i think this is the live) but nothing else - this is plugged into the back of the horn. am i supposed to wire in a ground somewhere or am i missing something?

cheers

If you look behind the wheel there's a little bit of metal that should be lightly touching the slip ring on the back of the Momo boss. You can pry it with a small screwdriver or something.

The other option, as I learnt the other day is the fuse has blown, it's the 13th or 14th from the left I think so check that.

ill have a look, by slip ring do you mean the silver ring with a tab sticking out? if i touch the brown wire from the boss against metal the horn sounds so i know thats fine.

cheers

Jake,

When you remove the boss or your standard steering wheel you'll see a small copper/brass looking tab beneath. Looks like an elongated flat spade connector. In order for the boss or the steering wheel to be earthed, this tab must be touching the metal base ring of the wheel or the boss. Likely that this tab needs "massaging" slightly so it sits proud of the plastic cowling and touches the ring when the boss/wheel is slid on to the spline.

This being the earth, all you should need in theory then is a live going to the horn push itself.

However I have seen a couple of horn pushes which need an actual direct earth i.e. doesn't use the earth by touching the metal boss which is in turn earthed by the base ring. Just depends on design really.

Hope that helps mate.