nsk1

Honda boy with a VW!!!!

hey guys! my names Nate and i'm looking into buying a low mileage and flawless Corrado G60!!!!!

finding parts/info on these cars isn't as easy as i was hoping. i would like to get some healthy power numbers out of the engine without making it unreliable. i was planning on making a custom 2.5 inch exhaust. i am also looking for a an intake and header. Please let me know which brands offers the best parts!!!

flywheel and clutch down the road. what is reputable out there????

down the road i would be interested in a pulley and supporting mods. i cant find a straight answer about rerouting a pipe or something to get better response.

post some links because i know these have been asked about before! thanks guys! show the new guy a little love! do it for the Corrado too :o

Welcome aboard! G60 tuning basically comes in two parts, cheap and expensive! The cheap bit is the chip and pulley mod, the expensive bits are big valve head and bigger bottom end.

So for 200bhp get a 68mm pulley and chip combined with a nice exhaust. Make sure the charger is in tip top condition and off you go!

As above, as well as a large front mounted intercooler. A custom map would get the most out of your set-up, not sure how many places will do it out in the states.

For induction I would look at keeping the standard airbox, with a cold air feed from the brake ducts. Open cone type induction kits are prone to heat soak and there is doubts about their filtering ability. Very important on a G!

Edited by domwells27

Welcome aboard! G60 tuning basically comes in two parts, cheap and expensive! The cheap bit is the chip and pulley mod, the expensive bits are big valve head and bigger bottom end.

So for 200bhp get a 68mm pulley and chip combined with a nice exhaust. Make sure the charger is in tip top condition and off you go!

200hp sounds like a reasonable goal without going crazy. i've read little things hear and there about over spinning the supercharger with too small of a pulley. how many different sizes are there and what would you recommend size-wise and brand?

i'm not looking to open up the engine for 4 reasons

1. $$$$$$$$$$$

2. it's in great condition and i cant justify tearing it apart.

3. if i would ever need to tear it apart it's from going too crazy..... avoid crazy

4. i'd probably blow it up.

my goals are more along the lines of preserving a classic than building the car. i just want to have a little more fun with the thing.

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

As above, as well as a large front mounted intercooler. A custom map would get the most out of your set-up, not sure how many places will do it out in the states.

For induction I would look at keeping the standard airbox, with a cold air feed from the brake ducts. Open cone type induction kits are prone to heat soak and there is doubts about their filtering ability. Very important on a G!

when picking intakes a always go with cold air kits, never with short ram. are there any write ups on how to modify the box like you say?

when does an intercooler become needed? what size pulley?

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

need to get rid of the automatic belts on the USDM model. these things are a menace!!! stupid legislatures.....

http://www.corrado-club.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5534

The standard pulley is 78mm, the most common smaller size is 68mm. You can go down to 65mm but you would need larger injectors to keep the fueling right, and it would need rebuilding more often.

The g60 already has a small intercooler in the wheel arch, but you will always benefit from a larger IC and cooler intake temps

To get cold air into the airbox you will need to remove the carbon cannister. Search here for plenty of information about it

Welcome! What Hondas have you owned? Had a few myself- never go wrong, but always found them a little soulless compared to a dub.

i've had a CRX Si, ek sedan, and my baby that i just got rid of was an 05 Acura RSX TypeS. looking into getting an ef hatch to tinker with right now. i've always wanted an eg hatch or a Del Sol but the right opportunity hasn't come up yet.

rebuilding "more" often? is the G60 unreliable? please explain.....

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

are these reputable? or can you recommend something like this?

pulley, belt, chip kit

http://www.corradoparts.com/G_Lader_Performance-68mm_Pulley_POWER_KIT_upgrade_for_G60_Supercharger.html

rebuilding "more" often? is the G60 unreliable? please explain.....

Obviously reducing the size of the pulley increases the rotational speed of the charger = more boost. However they weren't designed to spin this fast. 68mm pulley size is seen as relatively 'safe', but getting the supercharger rebuilt every 40,000 - 50,000 miles is recommended. Going down to a 65mm pulley increases the speed again, but decreases the service interval.

The two chambers inside the supercharger are sealed with apex strips, but as they wear out boost leaks between the chambers resulting in less boost. The worse problem will be if the timing belt snaps, or a bearing fails. The supercharger has a small timing belt to keep the eccentric shafts timed together, if this fails expect you supercharger to explode:

g60_charger_top.jpg

The belt should be replaced yearly/10,000 miles, not that this is in the service schedule. It is easy to do yourself to cut down on labour.

This sounds like I'm painting a pretty bleak picture, but it's best you know all the facts. Overall if you buy a G, make sure it has supercharger history/paperwork. If not ship it off to BBM/Kompressor Kanada and have them rebuild it for peace of mind. The engine block itself is very strong, just the charger that lets it down slightly.

Oh and if you do get the charger rebuilt, you may as well have them port it out at the same time (sometimes called 'stage 4') as this will increase air flow for better performance

Edited by domwells27
typo

i've had a CRX Si, ek sedan, and my baby that i just got rid of was an 05 Acura RSX TypeS. looking into getting an ef hatch to tinker with right now. i've always wanted an eg hatch or a Del Sol but the right opportunity hasn't come up yet.

Any pics of the RSX? I had a 1.6 EG6 VTI (160bhp) in black, a 1.8 MB6 VTI (170bhp- don't think you guys had these across the pond) and a 5th Gen Lude 2.2 VTI Motegi (dyno'd at 197bhp). The EG6 was prob my fav- lovely little car- pretty quick too. Think the VTI was UK equivalent to the Si. My wife also had a black LSI Civic Coupe.

i did a little bit of research on the charger. yeah it need rebuilding from time to time. i thought you were referring to the engine.

i think the rsx is still known as an integra outside of the USA. i have some pics on my phone that i can try to post.

i spent a bit of time searching for info on these g60's. you can pretty much go crazy with these things. i really don't want to open up the engine (unless it brakes) because i know i'll get in over my head and spend to much money. i think a modded intake box, exhaust, header, pulley, chip is as far as i will go on modifications. there's other small things like removing the charcoal canister, and removing the boost return..... are there any other things like this that can be done?????

maybe on one of the charger rebuilds i'll look into porting it. if it brakes down the road i'd be interested in raising compression and a camshaft. maaaaybe a light PnP job.

i spent a bit of time searching for info on these g60's. you can pretty much go crazy with these things. i really don't want to open up the engine (unless it brakes) because i know i'll get in over my head and spend to much money. i think a modded intake box, exhaust, header, pulley, chip is as far as i will go on modifications. there's other small things like removing the charcoal canister, and removing the boost return..... are there any other things like this that can be done?????

That all sounds very reasonable, and probably the msot you can do without going crazy. Should see you some healthy power gains.

The only thing I would be careful of is raising compression if you ever do it. You'd be risking detonating unless you run really high octane fuel or a water/meth injection kit.

oops. forgot the cooling. i would also like an oil cooler and, still researching, a FMIC. it would have to be small..... very small. i don't want to cut up the bumper skin or supports. it seems anything would be better than the factory cooler in the wheel well though.

i thought i saw a corrado somewhere running 9:1 compression. i'm not exactly sure why you couldn't run that in a g60 with moderate boost..... supra's and evo's can run north of 30lbs of boost at 10:1 and 9:5 compressions on pump gas. civic's can run north of 15lbs at 11:1.....

is it just a poorly designed head or pistons in the G60?

Edited by nsk1

i saw this and was curious. its a wastegate by-pass regulator valve.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Corrado--G60/ES122/

Not for a G60, it's a replacement N75 valve for a turbo engine. Basically it opens the actuator a bit further than the stock N75 valve. The G60 uses the mechanical valve on the throttle body to control boost

that's why i asked. the add said corrado g60's but in the description it was saying turbocharger. can you mod/alter the mechanical valve for the supercharged engine?

Welcome! What Hondas have you owned? Had a few myself- never go wrong, but always found them a little soulless compared to a dub.

I had an EP3 Type-R, and that thing had more character than any car I've owned. Loved to be revved and would cock the inside rear wheel like a crazy angry little terrier! It also had the best engine/gearbox combo of anything I've driven and was always fun to drive.

I had an EP3 Type-R, and that thing had more character than any car I've owned. Loved to be revved and would cock the inside rear wheel like a crazy angry little terrier! It also had the best engine/gearbox combo of anything I've driven and was always fun to drive.

the EP3 is lame stateside lol. there wasn't a Type-R model. the best was an Si and it had the k20a3 engine..... blahhh. my RSX was a Type-S model and it was an absolute blast. i can't imagine what an RSX Type-R would be like. the USA doesn't get the R-badges.