Sign in to follow this  
RACK

PSI!!!

Hooked up my boost gauge last night (Thanks PhatVR6) Just to see if my charger was still tip top.

Just got a quick question,

It was reading about 1bar at the top of the revs range (near 6000rpm).

Does this sound right??

Cheers people

RACK

No, that doesn't sound right! :(

Should be getting, I think around 11 bar with a good healthy standard / unmodified charger.

I think around 11 bar with a good healthy standard / unmodified charger.

:shock: :shock: :shock: I want one of your chargers Jim - 154psi gwaaan my son :mrgreen:

11 bar gotta be good for 1500hp with plenty of toluene. gimme, gimme now

1 bar. is that a 68mm pulley. sounds about right with a 68. slightly under for a 65mm

mine makes around 16psi on a good day. its due a rebuild thats on a 65mm

1 bar. is that a 68mm pulley. sounds about right with a 68. slightly under for a 65mm

If it lasts that long!! :D

Gavin

I'm running a 68mm pulley. The boost gauge stops at 1bar and it was going all the way up there at 6000rpm.

So I take it that my charger isn't good? :( :(

Sorry forgot to mention the charger has been gas flowed too.

Do not condem the charger. G60 engine is a funny old thing, if it is reachine 1 bar linier though the rpm range and peaks at 1 bar at 6200rpm that is the max reading you are going to get out of your charger as it is. If the boost levels rise linier to 1 bar and then plateau at 5000rpm for arguments sake, your charger is effectively producing more than 1 bar but the boost is being bled off though the ISV or you have a boost leak that is only noticable under high pressure. 14psi is not a bad figure though. Have you got a cone filter on it or a stock air box?

If it lasts that long!! :D

Gavin

hey i drive miss daisy remember :lol:

I've got a jetex cone filter on it. I did notice that with my foot planted to the floor in 3rd, the boost went up really smooth and linear from 0.2bar to 1bar right near the red line. I've also got a check valve in place, so will that mean the boost won't be venting off?

Thanks for the replies, I was bricking it at first thinking the charger was bayloxed!!

RACK

One more thing, on that VW video someone posted on here about fitting a boost gauge, the bloke on it said a standard charger should be between 0.6-0.8bar???

standard boost is 0.8 bar :( bit pooh, 68mm should see 14.7 psi - 1 bar at red line 6200rpm if you raise the limiter to 6500 pr even 6800 you will see 1.1 bar, i run a 65mm and limter at 6800, i can get over 20 psi at max :D ..but i have a rabbits foot on me a all times, .. christ i think i should take the whole bleeding rabbit,

From the sounds on it then it seems ok. I've got another problem at the minute now anyway.

I've got another split water pipe!! AHHHHHHH!!!!!