krishen

What was standard security from factory?

Hi,

Just wondering if there was any standard security on these cars? Reason i ask is that i don't seem to have any alarm, immobiliser or even a fob. Just have one plain simple key.

Keep reading threads about people having issues with their factory alarms and/or immobiliser so were they extras when original owners bought the car?

Krishen

Early cars basically had a lock & key! No electronic security at all. You could get a dealer fit alarm system from (I think the early to mid 90's) and then the last VR6's got a key coded immobiliser system. But that's pretty easy to defeat if you know your way around VAG-COM.

Ah ok. Ive got a 1995 vr6 so assume its got an immobiliser although i cant see a chip in the key

Does this mean if i want a new key i need to get it coded?

If built from chassis SK000719 onwards, it has a "chipped" key. New key will need to be added to the Corrados ignition immobiliser using diagnostics such as VCDS (VAGCOM).

Your copy of VCDS will need to be fully authorised to get the functionality it needs. The "Freeware" versions will not do it.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Immobilizer_I_Key_Matching_(Separate)

Edited by RW1

Anyone got a fully authorised copy of VAGCOM who is local-ish to Sheffield or Manchester? I could do with getting another key coded at some point. I already have an uncut blank transponder key. Would rather pay an enthusiast, than pay dealer rates if possible!

Mmm. Right i don't even have a 'fob'. Just a standard key with no black chip/block. Will get a pic loaded later so you can see what im on about.

That one above doesn't look like a chipped ignition key. Too rounded and moulded rubber. They look like below, with or without key light and are made of hard plastic.

Edited by RW1