Sign in to follow this  
choumbie

Car Stalling and Idle Problems....

Alrite, well i finally put my supercharger in...and then my power steering belt broke...So i got the power steering belt put on, so i could go fast AND steer...And now out driving tonite... im accelerating down the road, and my car stalls....RPM's go down to zero, and then it started up for a few seconds again...RPM's went back up, and then it completely shut off again...and once it shut off this time, it wouldnt start back up....The car turns over but wont start....My dad said he thought it may be a fuel pump? I have had idling problems since ive owned the car...Seems like it goes up to 200 rpms and then back down to 110 or so, over and over. I dont exactly have a ton of money to go throwing around on parts that i 'think' might fix the problem...Has anyone ever had something simliar to this happen or heard of it? Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated. Thanks..

-Alex

Swinging idle speed is often due to the ISV being in need of a clean out. Take it off and squirt some carbcleaner down it. Give it a couple of goes til the carbcleaner comes out clear. Then I squirt WD40 or some other light oil in, just for the hell of it.

You should remove the idle screw and make sure that is not covered in oil residue. Clean it and re-fit. Need to check idle setting, see below.

You should also make sure that the throttle cable is not too tight, this can prevent the ECU from knowing the throttle is closed and confusing it.

Lastly you you should try giving it a quick basic setup. Disconnect the blue temp plug, then set the idle with the screw. Re-connect the plug..

Gavin

Also check the vacuum pipe that runs from the back of the throttle body up to the ECU. It needs to be exactly 1 metre long and must be properly sealed for the ECU to work properly... 8)

You think problems with either of those would cause the car to stall while i was accelerating down the road? I had to get the car towed because i wont start up now...It turns over and everything.. I tried putting my foot on the gas and starting it up, and nothing happened...If the fuel pump was working, i would have atleast smelt gas right?

If the hall sender is tits up then the ECU wont know the engine is turning and wont fire teh injectors and coil. No smell of fuel.

You should hear the fuel pump run briefly to 'prime' the system, each time you turn the ign on.

Try looking for a spark form one of the plugs or the king lead to the dissy.

Gavin

Still no luck in finding what the problem is with my car...

What is the 'hall sender'? And where is it located in the car..Engine?...Ive had problems with my car stalling out and not starting before...and it was because of the fusebox falling down...I had the car fixed by a car electrician, but ive just noticed the fuse box isnt in the same place it was after it was fixed....Is there any fuse or wire down there that could inhibit the car from starting? Im starting to think ive been knocking my foot into the fusebox when i shift...Any ideas?

Hall sender sits on the right hand side of your dizzy (when standing in front of the engine bay), you can pull the plug off and do some tests.

Otherwise check your fuse #18 (20 A, for the fuel pump and Lambdaprobe heater).

Tempest