Pat_McCrotch

DIY Top Gear Challenge for Charity...

Hoping to get a few mates together in late August for a charity drive to Germany and the Nurburgring. Hoping to raise about £250-£300 per car for the charity Headway.

Because my friends are all reaching that age where were having to sell our pride and joys for houses I thought this would be a good way to keep our 'ring trips fresh...and without me sacrificing my Corrado! :D Been trying to put together an idea of how it would work and what cars we could use;

Challenge:

- Three teams to Purchase a German made vehicle up to the value of £600. Car to be draped in team livery.

- Minimum of 3 people in each team, camping only. No hotels!

- Travel to Europe and do four laps of the Nurburgring.

- When this is completed, all cars will go there separate ways to visit the cars factory of manufacture in Germany to do a museum tour and obtain photographic evidence.

- Each team to blog and photograph the whole trip and there experiences.

- Find 1 item that your team feels sums up the countries you'll be visiting (France, Belgium & Germany)

- Once we get on the Eurotunnel return trip, we'll rate each other in a series of categories to establish who has bought the best car.

Points out of will be out of a maximum 50 per category

+ Reliability and fuel economy

+ 0-60mph test & a 60-0mph test & top speed on the autobahn vs manufacturers claimed speed.

+ An inspection to discover what is and isn't working.

+ Points on general condition.

+ Spending or retaining any leftover change from the initial budget on repairing and/or modifing the cars

+ Originality of the items you bought from each country.

The Charity Aspect

- People to sponsor on the condition of getting back the car back on it's own power.

- Any profit from the sale of the car on the return to the UK to go to Charity.

Timetable

Saturday

5am – Leave via Eurotunnel (Folkestone to Calais)

6:30am – Arrive in Calais. Leave for the Nurburgring.

1:00pm – Arrive in Nurburgring. Visit museum & castle etc

Sunday

All Day - Carry out each cars four laps.

Evening – Smash our lives up with the locals and other enthusiasts! Expect this day to be very busy as it's a usually Touristenfahrten. So the laps will easily take an up a full day.

Monday

9:00am onwards: Leave for Factory visit. Depending on what car we eventually get this could take anywhere from 2 hours to 7 hours! Arrive at destination and grab dinner, get drunk etc!

Tuesday

10am – Leave for Eurotunnel

7pm – Arrive in UK

9:00pm – Arrive back in Essex

So, any ideas as to other ways we can increase charity money & what I can buy for £500? (want to keep back £100 for any repairs that may be required!). One of our participants will require an automatic (he lost a leg).

My list so far;

- 1995 Ford Scorpio Cosworth(the bug-eyed one, with leather etc)

- 1995 Vauxhall Omega 3.0

- Audi A4 & Audi A6 (around 1999)

- BMW 318 or BMW 520 (around 1995)

- Mercedes C200 or E220 (around 1995)

- Audi Coupe (1996)

- Ford Puma (2000)