boost monkey

The Monkey's Daily - Mk2 Golf GTi 8v [straight through MOT]

I've ordered a 3 piece LUK kit, but I don't think it comes with pressure plate. Isn't the pressure plate the thing that looks like a giant brake disc?

Or am I getting confused.

Nice picture of a full (Sachs) clutch kit here:

http://www.vwh2o.com/vw.cfm?act=shop.product&pID=40239484&lang=EN&country=GB

I've heard mixed reviews on the LUK clutches, but mostly it's people spouting off I think - I've never actually seen or heard any stories of an LUK clutch failing early on a MK2. VW used a mix of Sachs and LUK items originally.

Ah.

My 3 part LUK kit would be the ring, release plate and clutch plate then. Need to add the pressure plate.

Pants.

---------- Post added 3rd May 2011 at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was 2nd May 2011 at 11:59 PM ----------

Damn it, why is that so cheap! Mine cost £50 and doesn't include the pressure plate. Argh.

Thanks tony_ack, I prob should have PM'd you about the sachs one :/

The Golf absolutely flew this morning. I have concluded that Digifant loves cold intake air, at least more than other cars I have driven including K-Jet :D

a 3 series bumped me in traffic today, but left no damage so I only cut one of his balls off. It actually led to me bumping into (not literally) another C owner from Uni. I encouraged him to join :D

you've really got me confused about this clutch thing, I bought a complete sachs for the 02A cable box (50 quid or so with trade discount) and that's a complete kit, including release bearing.

I can't see you won't have everything if you are buying a 3 piece 020 kit ???

Digis do like their cold air. There's an intake temperature sensor in the MAF which the ECU makes use of and adjusts the map accordingly, although to be fair most cars will make use of colder (denser) air!

If you've had a bump then check the side brackets that attach the bumper to the rear quarter haven't popped off or snapped - they're usually the first victim in any minor shunt. You'll be able to tell as the rear bumper will be sitting a little wonky from the side profile (lower near the rear arch)

you've really got me confused about this clutch thing, I bought a complete sachs for the 02A cable box (50 quid or so with trade discount) and that's a complete kit, including release bearing.

I can't see you won't have everything if you are buying a 3 piece 020 kit ???

The clutch I bought is the 210mm for the PB engine: 3 In 1 Clutch Kit (Cover,Plate,Bearing) so I'm 99.9% sure it's the right one. Perhaps I just need to wait until it arrives! I'm guessing "Plate" means clutch plate, and not pressure plate....or are they one and the same? Oh god, I'm confused now!!

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

Digis do like their cold air. There's an intake temperature sensor in the MAF which the ECU makes use of and adjusts the map accordingly, although to be fair most cars will make use of colder (denser) air!

If you've had a bump then check the side brackets that attach the bumper to the rear quarter haven't popped off or snapped - they're usually the first victim in any minor shunt. You'll be able to tell as the rear bumper will be sitting a little wonky from the side profile (lower near the rear arch)

That's great, thanks again tony! :D you are my font of knowledge at the moment :D there was no visual damage and I shook the bumper too and seemed fine, but I will check again asap.

The clutch I bought is the 210mm for the PB engine: 3 In 1 Clutch Kit (Cover,Plate,Bearing) so I'm 99.9% sure it's the right one. Perhaps I just need to wait until it arrives! I'm guessing "Plate" means clutch plate, and not pressure plate....or are they one and the same? Oh god, I'm confused now!![/Quote]

I'm sure the cover is the pressure plate :) can't remember how the design of the 020 box clutch is different from the 02A but I'm sure it's similar.

Ok well it's coming today so I'll update you all then.

Steve, you wanna come put it on for me? I have ham....

I just got a call from the missus saying that she could smell petrol whilst in the car :/ I got her to check under the bonnet around the fuel rail, and also at the underbody fuel pump but she couldn't see or smell any leaks with both ignition off and on (system pressurised).

Does anyone know what could cause this? I know sometimes on the 8v engines the lines around the rail can perish, it happened to Prodigal's G60 and I'm a bit concerned especially as I'm at uni all day and not able to check for myself.

If anyone knows the trouble areas to check when you can smell petrol can you let me know please! Would be nice to have some peace of mind on this one, even if it means buying more parts.

Cheers!

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Edit: the clutch tried to come yesterday, but for some reason the receptionist in my building (posh posh) wasn't about so they have left me a card for a depot miles away. A job for saturday I guess!

petrol smell could just be like the early corrados, no one-way flap in the filler neck and just sometimes you get a whiff.

'Old car smell' may be mistaken for a petrol smell for the uninitiated! Lack of a cat and rich running could make your missus think she's smelling petrol, when actually it's rich exhaust fumes.

The fuel lines system on the Digi is quite simple compared to the spaghetti that is K-jet. Coming into the engine bay from the driver's side you have two lines, one fuel-in line, and one fuel return. It's a while since I've been under the bonnet of a Digi, but iirc they then connect to the FPR, and onto the common injector rail at the back of the head. One place they can go is where one of the lines passes over/near the cambelt cover, and rubs against it - but if they go here they usually spray everywhere. Other than that, the system is pretty robust. When you get the car back, check the whole system over from the tank to the injectors to see what you come up with. It's probably nothing, but better to be safe.

The only other place she can check (doubt it will reveal anything) is under the boot carpet - there is a cover for the in-tank pump where the lines leave the fuel tank.

Thanks guys :D

@davidwort, she did say that the fuel filler flap/cap smelled quite strong, but as this was obvious I just put it down to a woman thing :lol: but perhaps this is actually what she caught a whiff of. Cheers :D

@tony_ack, thanks for the in-depth coverage. I haven't had an 8v since before the C and even then it was under pierburg power!! I'll check in the boot too, I know she'd been lugging stuff about today so I'll see if she's disturbed that cover plate there.

C/L has given up tonight! Seemingly by itself. Took the foam off, and it seems that the bolts have gone rusty so possible moisture ingress.

So, of course I'm gonna check fuses and maybe try and use the Corrado pump unit (early, so might work?)

also, the yellow vac pipe coming out of the unit has snapped (obvious prob?) and I found a T-piece under the carpet in the boot on the O/S which had a blue and a pink attached and nothing on the 3rd side.

If anyone fancies riddling this one out I will be all ears. I'm expecting DW to have input due to his recent similar issue! :D

Good old C/L! Had a nightmare with this on the valver. My problem was the driver's door actuator though (the lock tab had snapped - funny I had the same problem in the Corrado!), and also a failed pump. The early Corrado pump IS the same as the 90 spec MK2 one I think, and could also match the pre-90 ones too. The vac pipes on the later cars are black with a green stripe, so it looks like the pre 90 ones are different.

Check your spare wheel well if you have moisture in your boot to make sure water's not pooling.

For the CL, check the fuse, swap the pump, reconnect the yellow pipe, and operate it again to see what happens.

Also check this out for pipe routing (as long as you've registered on Vagcat)

http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/vw/GO/1988/77/56/872865/

Have fun!

:)

if the CL unit/pump looks like the Corrado unit and has the 357 (88-93 Passat) P/N prefix then it should be identical,

there is a permanent live feed to the box and then switching feeds for lock/unlock (same two wires for both front door handles)

you should get 12v at the permanent and 12v at each of the switching feeds when you hold the lock over on lock or unlock, if you get power to each of these then a relay in the CL circuit board has gone or the pump/motor is sha99ed, seems they fail more often than I thought, never heard of preoblems with these until I started trying to resolve my dead CL, now I find reports of them breaking everywhere :lol:

the CL foam says 191 at the start so I guess that rules out a swappable unit from the Corrado :/ I still haven't checked the fuse, because I can't find the fusebox cover! It's been off to use as a parts tray whilst I've been doing other jobs in the car and now I can't find it! :/ I'll try to get the multimeter out soon, although I have final exams (omg, finishing uni at last) in the next 2 weeks so can't really do anything until then.

The part no on the foam is for... well... the foam!

Think the part no starts 443 anyway.

Oh! :lol: I couldn't find a number on the black pump housing :-s

Going back to the clutch, I received it last night - one of my flat neighbours had taken it in. It's a LUK item, and does come with pressure plate! I was surprised cos it was a 3 piece kit but has 4 pieces including the retaining clip. Perhaps I'm being picky :D So I will order the 6 high torque bolts and put this on the to-do list pile.

Also, I've found the throttle pedal very all or nothing recently. The driveline shunt is tremendous, and noticed most when my fiancee is driving (no comment...!) which I kinda assumed was her getting used to the bite point etc. But it does it with me too, esp at low speed when just trying to creep along in 1st or second. There seems to be no progression. Is this characteristic of anything in paricular? I wondered whether I had an uprated clutch on perhaps (only one way to find out I guess!). Maybe the throttle body sensors need a bit of a clean. I'm not too sure really. Perhaps I'm not riding the clutch as much as I'm scared it's gonna go soon. Still doesn't slip when foot down in 5th at 30 though.

Found fusebox cover, it's at Prodigal's house with my Mk2 bentley :lol: so when I pick those up I'll actually be able to check the CL fuse and see if its gone.

Thanks for the continued help everyone :D :salute:

Throttle body... sensors??!

It's a very simple throttle linkage - the throttle movement directly opens the butterfly in the throttle body.

Fully closed activates the idle switch, fully open activates the WOT switch.

It wouldn't hurt to get yourself a can of carb cleaner, take apart the intake system and throttle body, and give it all a good clean. The cable could be sticking too. If your missus is willing, get her to slowly and smoothly apply the throttle in the car with the engine switched off to check for smooth movement of the mech on the throttle body.

Otherwise Digis should be pretty smooth and effortless to drive in traffic - maybe the car could do with a tune, or there could be an issue with the ISV (though unlikely if you get a smooth drive in gear on idle - no throttle).