boost monkey

The Monkey's Daily - Mk2 Golf GTi 8v [straight through MOT]

Cheers tony_ack! Star as always :D

Just found out from ClubGTI that the FPR is truly fooked. I was going to run around to the local garage this week and get the CO set, but should I fix the FPR first? I can get a new fpr and fit over christmas and then take it for a CO tune in the new year if the FPR function is critical to the CO level being set.

When my missus drove it up to leeds we got 36mpg out of the tank. The cambelt had just been done but I think that changing the vac lines for good ones has upset the mixture again so I'll get it in for a CO set so it's stops drinking, and then get it on an RR in the new year :D

Yep, anything that affects the intake, ignition (inc timing) or exhaust should be fixed before setting the CO. Because once you fix something else in those areas, it will be out again.

If you can't get an FPR from VW, see if anyone on the forums has one spare. It's only a small piece of plastic irrc?

I managed to get 48mpg when driving from Reading to Oxford on the M4/A404/M1 in my old 8v, and that was in fairly heavy traffic, but keeping at about 60-65mph. I miss that car.

Oh right. Well the exhaust has been on and off quite a bit too. In fact I think it might be leaking a bit as when I start the car in the morning and then get out to clear the windows I get a whiff of exhaust/fuely kind of smell. I'm guessing downpipe maybe.

I've posted on CGTI so maybe someone will have one kicking about off an old rail. This is the FPR, metal UFO thingy:

$(KGrHqN,!isE4qsrp7R5BONHGsTF3g~~1_12.JPG

48mpg is insane. I haven't even seen 38mpg.

Not heard form you and Willow for a while - still going okay?

Slightly jealous of people who have fun commutes now that I'm driving the 'fire engine' Audi diesel.

Hey tony,

yeah doing well thanks! Have some recent updates which I've been harassing CGTI with.

Managed to get a new FPR from a guy on there for £20, and replaced it along with the S-shape fuel line. Used std 7mm ID fuel injection hose and managed to get that replaced as it was cracked to hell. The rail feed line seems to be weeping at the rail end even after trimming back, so I will probs swap that soon. tbh it's not as much weeping as just about leaking enough to see a wet patch on the rail as opposed to dripping/weeping.

Car now starts within 2 turns of the starter and idles much much better so I'm a happy bunny. Along with getting the CO done on friday it's running a lot better and doesn't pop after even high rpm WOT gearchange (although I did manage to get it to do it in 2nd this morning - perhaps exhaust blowing issue)

And now onto the bad discovery - seems the old girl has had some crash damage at some point in the past. Luckily seems all mechanical parts. Here's the story.

I noticed that my NSF wheel was balding on outer edge so I got the garage to check it when they tuned the mixture. They said that whilst they were doing the tracking (and replacing my balding relatively new Uniroyal rainsport :/ ) they noticed that the subframe was bent.

I had a look and knowing my way around the frame a bit after the Corrado resto I see what they mean. The two ears where the NSF wishbone bolts into the frame/chassis were bent down ever so slightly. I probably wouldn't even have noticed if they hadn't pointed it out. I'm guessing someone has gone hard into a pavement or something in the past.

The other connected problem was to do with the brakes. They said the NSF pads were low and I said I had some pads in the boot which they started to fit. Only they couldn't get the pads on! Seems the NSF hub isn't the correct one (despite looking right) as the outer pad couldn't be swapped as the caliper was sitting way out on the outer edge of the rail (239 setup so integrated caliper carrier) and they said it looks like the outer CV on the driveshaft may have been catching on the hub too.

The problem I have now is knowing which part is the odd one out from that corner! Is it the hub? Hub and caliper? Is the wishbone bent? It's all a bit of a mare at the mo. Luckily the pads aren't low enough to be dangerous and with the learner driving I do in the morning it doesn't really worry me.

I'm currently looking for a replacement NSF mk2 8v hub (all the same IIRC) so I can at least replace that and go from there. I haven't actually had the wheel off and given it a good look as my trolley jack finally died after about 10 years. I need to get both front wheels off and compare everything. OSF is absolutely perfect, and they said the new pads on that side would go straight on.

Another issue was that the guy doing the tracking said that it seemed like the NSF wheel was sitting out into the arch further - confirmed by me catching that wheel on the arch from time to time.

So the engine and car are running great as a whole, I just have a small issue with that front corner...!

Quick update:

I did a 5 hour round trip (in rush hour :-/) to London last night and met up with Toyotec (Wolf R/ "Hoffed" fame). Was really good to put a face to a name and to find another keen engineering mind!

He has donated me both hubs from his 8v car for a great price, and tired (but happy) I came back with them last night. They include stone guards, calipers, discs and pads so I'm planning to get them both fitted in the week along with some driveshafts and new ball joints while I'm at it.

img2012020400731.jpg

img2012020400729.jpg

We decided between us that the NSF hub on the car must be from a mk3 4-stud as it very obviously wider track! I'd say it sticks out a good 20-25mm just by eye and has meant that my old tyre used to catch on the arch sometimes.

I'm thinking I may swap them as a whole and then just bleed the brakes afterwards and get the camber adjusted again as the hubs are in much better condition than my ones.

Ok so the car had all the correct bits on it and nothing was damaged.

...The bearing hadn't been pushed home properly.... can you believe it!

Hub has now been swapped, brakes bled and all is well. I'll get pics up tomorrow - bearing is about 20mm (funnily enough) away from the circlip groove and therefore spindle is sitting out by 20mm creating the wide tracked nature of the NSF.

Never ever seen that before...! Slightly worrying that i'd been driving around with it like that. Seems the circlip between hub and spindle had come adrift so could well have worked loose through cornering or rough roads.

Finally got round to taking a couple of snaps of the offending hub:

img4616p.jpg

I'm pretty sure that circlip is doing it wrong...

img4615a.jpg

Now I understand why we couldn't swap the pads on this side. Offset!!

img4613r.jpg

Nowhere near 20mm, maybe more like 10mm. Either way bearing backing out of hubs is never good.

So...crisis averted. Still quite shocked by this though!

Currently hoping that the weather improves soon! Seems the longer warm up time of the engine is seeing me averaging 32mpg when I don't pass 70mph on a 60 mile return commute. I was hoping it would be nearer 40mpg. I have theories about the slight exhaust leak reducing back pressure so that low speed cruising is actually worse for economy (or at least the same) as higher speed (i.e. 70-80mph) cruising is. So this week I will be sat at 70 to see if it makes a difference!

Also realised I had left all those ^^^ spare hubs, driveshafts, calipers, brakes, and pads in the boot (along with a new clutch kit!) so have taken that out - I'm assuming it'll reduce the weight by about 50kg. Not sure why it was all still in there. Laziness I suppose!

my digifant 8v has used a lot more fuel with the cold starts over the last month or two, there's a bridge about 8 minutes into my commute that in the summer I was getting 35mpg on the MFA at that point, recently it's been nearer 25mpg, it's had new plugs, dizzy cap etc recently and is running really well, once warmed up the mpg is much as it is in the summer so I know it's not something else, it's just starting from such low temps that does it.

Thanks for the advice david! It's good to know. Yesterday we had a snap frost in Oxford to -2, but today it was much milder and the car drove much better on the way in. I'm hoping the mildness stays.

Any idea how much extra fuel is used in cold start mode, either as a % injector duty cycle or cc's? Just curious really.

I'm also wondering whether I should stop using the original tyre pressures for the car (half load: 29psi front, 26psi rear) and pump them up harder to allow for some better mileage out of the car. The tyres are Uniroyals new in the autumn, and my suspension is lowered about 20mm and bit stiffer.

Thoughts? Are OEM tyre pressures still valid?

Now the cold has moved on (and no long cold-start cycles) the car has jumped from 32 to 35mpg as an average (calculated from tank fill ups) and seems to be running reasonably.

Planning an oil change and possibly a ignition and filters service this month but we'll see how it goes. Starting to save up towards a house!

Hey Jon good to see you fixing up the mk2, I've sold mine recently :-(

How did the lbj extender go?

Hey buddy, yeah the mk2 is still going ok. I now have a slight exhaust leak, but I did a run from Ox to B'mouth last weekend and it averaged 37mpg over 200 miles so I was quite happy with that.

LBJ extender is still being worked on. I've kinda of left that in Jay's court for now. I've turned my attention to the custom machined hubs from Ally project! Found a treasure trove of design models for racing Corrado (Ken Lark's) and also a mk4 1.8t owned by Frazero Racing! So I'm a happy bunny for sure.

How come you sold your mk2?

Fair enough buddy. I do 60 miles a day at the mo, and see low to mid 30s in the golf. It is just too much fun to drive slowly!

I was all for getting something like a mk5 golf, but I've heard that these direct injection engines mean the heads coke up within 20k miles and need to be taken off to clean. I guess having the fuel wash the back of the intake valves isn't such a bad idea after all! :D

I replaced it with a Mk5 GT Tdi, I'm now getting about 55mpg rather than the 38ish from the Mk2 but more importantly I can cruise at higher speeds without feeling the engines about to explode.. My journey time has decreased so I can get there earlier and start billing sooner!

I'll still end up loosing money from the depreciation anyway, but it's just a more comfortable ride. 80miles each way.

A wise decision. We're moving house in a week, and so my wife will be commuting - I don't feel happy having her drive a 23 year old car as a daily, and so I'm thinking of getting a mk5 tdi for her too. 80 miles one way is a killer commute. My 50 miles return is just about enough in the mk2 before I start needing a break! What's the DPF like on yours? I hear stories but have no experience myself. Also I hear the direct injection petrol engine heads coke up faster than Kate Moss - no petrol washing the back of the intake valves means they crust up pretty quickly I guess.

On another note, the car flew through its MOT yesterday! I am very pleased as it is on about 185,000 miles now and has sketchy history at best. There was an advisory for rear wheel bearings, but they're silent so i'll pop the wheels off and hand tighten them up :salute:

Still after a Corrado at some point. I think i will have to have a VR base this time, perhaps one with a dead engine.

We've moved out of Oxford now into Brackley in the south of Northamptonshire about 1.5 miles from my work. Jo is using the golf as a daily now, and it seems to be holding up well.

I'm planning to do an oil and coolant swap this summer which gives me the perfect opportunity to change the oil-water exchanger too. The 2 hose connections on it are all gunked up with what looks like varnish or something similar(?) so I'm going to swap it out as the engine will be fully dry.

Anyone in the brackley/northants area feel free to say hi!

This...

IMAG0344.jpg

...is all your fault!

Knew I wouldn't be able to resist another 8v.

Well done on the MOT pass matey. Obviously a well looked after mota ;)

Tony, looks very nice! 8) Don't let him influence you any more- next up you'll be buying a 16v Corrado that doesn't work... :lol:

^^^^ bah!!!

I'm selling the 8v now, it's up on CGTI: http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?255149-Black-5-door-1989-Mk2-Golf-GTi-8v-with-rainbow-interior-for-sale

It's been great fun and i'd never had an 8v before, but we bought it in April 2011 before I even finished uni as a little runabout for £400 and we never expected either of us would be doing 1000 miles a month in it! It's actually fared very well, but it's time to move on. With the recession, there are some great cars to be had for not a lot of money so we're going to take this opportunity to upgrade

Now Cazza, be a good mate and go find me a Storm Grey VR6 :D :D :D