ray_vr6

Suspension on a budget (Again)

Hi

I know you only get what you pay for but due to extreme economics (I'm skint!) I need to look at replacing my suspension on a very tight budget.

Has anyone any experiences of these FK Hi-Tec ( FK Hi-Tec Suspension kit VW Corrado 16V G60 (53i) -35mm ) or the similary priced JOM units available on eBay?

Or indeed any other sugestions in that price bracket would be appreciated

TIA

See this thread about FK stuff:

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?55385-Bloody-Coilovers-are-knackered-!!!!!-Anyone-refurbed-Konigsports-before

I was in a similar position to you, but opted for a second hand pair of shocks and springs. Got Koni Top-adjustables for £80. They never were going to set the world alight, but they are a damn sight better than my original setup, and my car is now 40mm lower.

Ray I just bought a set of the Jom coilovers off E-Bay from Venom.Cost £140!!

Can`t complain at that price the are guaranteed for two years too.

They do not look the worst quality and longevity remains to be seen.

Havent` fitted them yet but felt I could not justify spending £700-£1000 on suspension for a £2k car !!!!

For all the driving I do in it I`m sure they will be fine.

I`ll let you know how I get on when they are fitted.

Thanks guys - good call on the Fk and I agree the 2yr waranty on the JOM units seem to suggest they have confidence in their product!

I would say mate its always a balance between cost vs what you want. I opted for uprated bilstein shocks with eibach springs with a modest 30mm drop and I have to say im so happy. I just dont believe that a cheap unit (£32.50 a piece) that is infinately adjustable between say 30-100mm drop is ever going to give a decent ride unless it is dropped to the floor and firm as anything. If JOM offer a two year warranty on something that is that cheap it is a bargain and I think is great as long as your expectations regarding ride and longevity are not too high. I would say although with a fixed springs and dampers you only get one ride height you at least dont get a unlimited amount of adjustable dodgyness. Iv opted for Bilstein B8 shocks with Eibach Pro kit springs and it is THE BEST thing I have ever bought.

If you plan on keeping the car I would say buy right and buy once, I know people have bought the cheaper coilovers and fair play to them I just dont think are the best thing to buy on your budget.

Happy Hunting!!!

Again some good advice guys - will investigate the Bilstein/Sachs/Eibach route - thanks

Hi Again

Been looking around at prices for bilstein shocks and eibach springs - I came accross PI srings for £107 delivered - anyone got experience/opinions on them?

Ray I`ve got a set of Eibach springs that you can have for £70 +postage.Save you some dosh and all you need are the dampers!

If you are interested I`ll dig them out and get all the details to you.

That sounds good - would defo be interested if they fit - despite my username I am running a 16v at the moment so if the springs are for your VR6 they probably would not fit! Let me know what you think and also condition age etc

Cheers

Ray they are for the VR6,Eibach Sportlines I think !

I will dig them out they are in superb condition having only been on for a couple of thousand miles.

I`ll get the numbers off them and check with Eibach

Hi

This is one of the listings on ebay that quote 2yr warranty.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290558279461&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I have decided to go down the Bilstein B4 shocks and eibach springs.

A bit more expensive than the JOM coilovers (£320 all in) but from everything I have heard it would seem to be the better option