vwchick

Advice Please

The problem with the scrappage scheme is that everyone who was probably looking into buying a car over the last few years did it all at once in a 1-2 year period.

So there was a massive spike in car sales a couple of years ago and now theres a massive slow down period because everyone who would have bought a new car now did so last year.

Another factor is that the majority of those people who traded in their 'bangers' obviously keep their cars for a while, so now they have they brand new cars which they'll probably keep for another 5-10 hence, no new car sales during that period. The scrappage scheme was such a short sighted solution, it was never going to build up any long term momentum in the automotive market, people just don't have the budget for new cars every 1-2 years anymore.

I also think that the automotive industry just didn't react to the financial situation quick enough, cars have been getting more and more expensive for years now (an entry level Golf is nearly £20k?!) and they aren't bringing out cars in £6k-£9k gap that cars like Fiesta and Polo have left. The 107/C1/Aygo is the perfect example of capturing the cultural zeitgeist of downsizing and profiting from this market. The notion of status is definitely shifting away from sheer quantity of possessions to quality of possessions. and by quality of possessions I don't mean quality of materials or craftmanship, but more about how it represents the owner as being more conscious of the environment and the world financial crisis, so in this instance I guess quality is represented by intelligence.

Rant Over! Back to the topic of vwchick selling her car!

Is a tough market out there at the moment. It took me 2 auto trader listings and then an ebay auction to shift my Seat ibiza GTi. And it only went for £500 which is a damn bargain for the guy who won it.

Is a tough market out there at the moment. It took me 2 auto trader listings and then an ebay auction to shift my Seat ibiza GTi. And it only went for £500 which is a damn bargain for the guy who won it.

Same here, took me forever to sell my 3-series, was an E46 318 (facelifted with newer 2.0 engine) and was even the supposedly much more desirable M-sport model.