anarchy

Fuel Pump question. Trying to install right now

Hey guys,

I recently ordered a new fuel pump and housing for a 1990 G60. The pump I received looks like the one in this picture: http://www.corradoparts.com/Fuel-Complete_Fuel_Pump_Complete_w_sending_unit_5.html

The problem is that the pump which I removed from my car is different. The large housing around the fuel pump is completely round and has the float attached to it. The housing I received is about 3/4 round with the float attached to the top cover.

Will this still work in my car? Please help, I took the day off to do the install and like an idiot diddnt inspect the pump until just now.

Thanks,

Steve

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

Ok I figured a few things out.

1. I had the old Pierburg fuel pump which VW changed out because of its problems.

2. The pump which I received is the new VDO pump.

Here is the issue now. The original pump had the fuel float attached to the actual housing which sits around the pump. The new VDO pump has the fuel float attached to the top cover which sits above the fuel pump housing. Is this think going to work?

I can't remeber exactly what mine looked like but VW say 'also use....' with the new VDO type pump.

I remeber I had to do some soldering of the sender wires to make it work but apart from that it was fine

installed the VDO fuel housing but I couldnt find a way to put the fuel float in the tank so I disconnected it completely. Car fired up with no problems

Ok, thing you have the wrong part then - sure mine clipped on the side but I had to modify the pipes and 2 wires that went up to the top housing...

im interested in this, whats wrong with the original peirberg pumps then? arent vdo's used in late cars ie vr6's and dont need a 2nd lift pump (under the car)