Critical_Mass

Radiator elbow flange/seal

Hi all,

Ive got a coolant leak on the VR, its the join between the top of the radiator and the elbow joint. Is the flange/seal still available?

Thanks

Can anyone advise me on this?

part number is 535 121 687 for anyone who looks for it in the future.

It just says round seal, is there anything special about the seal or can it be any round rubber seal, as long as its the correct diameter and close to the correct thickness?

Edited by Critical_Mass

Might be worth just ringing a VW stealers mate and asking! :)

Might be worth just ringing a VW stealers mate and asking! :)

VW do stock it but no where at this end of England have got it in stock at the mo and cant get it in until monday - could do with it this weekend latest really, im havign to top the coolant up every other day. GSF dont stock it either. Apparently its just a normal O ring so may see if i can pick one up at a motor factors or DIY place. Even as a temp fix.

Edited by Critical_Mass

It's obselete mate , i had to get one from Liverpool TPS.

If you have no luck locating one nationally then gruvenparts produce a metal one which is obviously lots more expensive but should last forever !

Also watch out when you unbolt it from the radiator as the bolts rust to the sleeves in the rad and when forced can break the plastic neck forcing you to replace the whole radiator !!

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

Sorry that should have said obsolete not obselete ??

Also i am referring to the flange rather than the seal.

This happened on the GF's VR it looked like the seal needed replacing, it wasn't until we tried to remove the bolts that hold the top elbow in place that we noticed a crack down the side of the radiator in the plastic. The bolts were just spinning around so had to buy a new radiator which came with the top elbow already in place.

Hope you have better luck

Jon

This happened on the GF's VR it looked like the seal needed replacing, it wasn't until we tried to remove the bolts that hold the top elbow in place that we noticed a crack down the side of the radiator in the plastic. The bolts were just spinning around so had to buy a new radiator which came with the top elbow already in place.

Hope you have better luck

Jon

Yeah ive read your post Jon and Im sure its not the same issue (touch wood). I can see where the water is coming out and its definately between the elbow and the radiator. There's also a black must round the flange as if the seal has been destroyed some how.

Can anyone confirm that its just a normal rubber o ring that i can get from DIY or motor factors?

Edited by Critical_Mass

Yeah ive read your post Jon and Im sure its not the same issue (touch wood). I can see where the water is coming out and its definately between the elbow and the radiator. There's also a black must round the flange as if the seal has been destroyed some how.

Can anyone confirm that its just a normal rubber o ring that i can get from DIY or motor factors?

As far as i can remember mate its just a rubber O-Ring part number is 535 121 687 but as said don't know if it can be bought seperatley according to ETKA its size is 31 X 3.2. Be very careful undoing the bolts on the elbow though mate

Yeah its still available from VW but NONE have it in stock. Ive just put some Rad weld in just now - hate to have to use it but I need the car to stay on the road until i can get a seal. Saying that, it could all me pointless if i crack any of the plastic when undoing the nuts. I'll spray some WD40 on them before attempting to remove and yes i will do them slowly. Last thing i want is needing a new rad. Just spent £263 to get it through the MOT.

Yeah its still available from VW but NONE have it in stock. Ive just put some Rad weld in just now - hate to have to use it but I need the car to stay on the road until i can get a seal. Saying that, it could all me pointless if i crack any of the plastic when undoing the nuts. I'll spray some WD40 on them before attempting to remove and yes i will do them slowly. Last thing i want is needing a new rad. Just spent £263 to get it through the MOT.

I sprayed wd40 on the top and underneath of the bolts several times over a couple of days and had no real problem when it came to undoing them, they were smeared with copaslip before refitting to prevent them rusting to the metal sleaves in the flange.

Good luck !