Sign in to follow this  
blair321

Advice on German imports

HI all

im planning on going over to germany and getting a lhd g60,

just wondered if anyone had any experience doing it, i know what ive got to do to get it over here but wondered if anyone knew the best way about finding them, ive been on http://www.mobile.de (cracking site) and have found some nice ones, is it just a case of ringing them and arranging a time to go over, or is it better to just go over for a couple of days and seeing whats there, any advice would be great,

many thanks

I'd of thought that spending a few days there looking at cars might be a better idea.

Its gonna be a real pi$$er if you go over there and the car you'd arranged to look at was a bomb! At least if you plan to look at a few, then hopefully one of them will be good enough? :)

Would agree with Jim there, even though there might be some travelling involved.

Then again, I did it exactly the opposite way: Went over to test drive my Mk1 Rocco nr. Munich, flew back (didn't wnat to buy it ... until my colleague at work sat down with me and asked me "What was wrong with the car?" Erm, nothing, 2 sleepless nights later and it was mine 8) )

Tempest

Only comment I have to make about going to look at a few cars, Germany is a chuffing immense country and checking out a couple would be hard work. Not just a humble opinion.

I bought my Golf off the guy that supplied G60imports and others. He used to spend hours on the phone setting up deals to get the cleanest cars. Admittedly not Corrados but he would only act on dead certs.

He would definately avoid anywhere in the old East Germany.

Do some research on airports you can get to from Heathrow/Gatwick/Stansted. Look for cars within an hours travel on the other side. Don't forget how far you have to drive to get it back to the UK as well. From Frankfurt it is 5 hours thrashing to get to Rotterdam and round about the same to Calais.

Get plenty of photos and don't go over on a friday and expect to do a deal over the weekend. The registration offices will be shut and you cannot move in an unregistered car in Germany. You can deregister a car and run for the border. The German registration is valid until Midnight. The French or Dutch Police will rolly not bother you if you stick to the limits. Just get the car insured on the chassis number. Set that up before you go, as much as you can. So you just have to call them once.

Organise some breakdown cover too, you never know. :roll:

Gavin

I have plenty of contacts that can supply corrados in germany that have been checked out.

let me know if you need help.

Do realize that insuring a lhd car in the UK is going to cost more than a rhd if you go fully comp.

Niko

I have plenty of contacts that can supply corrados in germany that have been checked out.

Niko

that would be great if you could let me know more about the contacts and how to go about this, its the first time ive done it so im quite wary about doing it right.

with respect to insurance,

im 21 with 3 points and 4 years ncb, ive had quotes for lhd g60s with a modifyers policy which allows most mods for around the £900 mark. :lol:

thats less than the 2 L 16 v peugeot 306 im insured on now :lol:

Do realize that insuring a lhd car in the UK is going to cost more than a rhd if you go fully comp.

Niko

Depends who you insure with.... my insurer (admiral) who were the cheapest for me generally, didn't care that it was LHD (I drive a LHD VR6)...

actually a lot of insurance companies are not bothered wether the car is LHD or RHD maybe its a little perk of going into the EU :-P