Neil L.

Engine cut out on 94 VR?

For last 2wks now i've had a strange loss of power at intervals when driving my VR6!

It seems to be getting up to power ok but when coming off the gas it feels like its being strangled and sometimes its actually cuts out!

Its as if its being starved of fuel at certain moments - not all the time - if i wait a minute after it cuts out i can then re-start the car and drive away!

Its very intermittent - but it has happened on the motorway at 70mph - engine just died(lucky i was in the left-hand lane) - pulled onto hard shoulder, waited a min and then drove off again!!!

About 10mths ago i did change cam + crank sensors. Would a blocked fuel filter do this?

What fuel pumps have i got + how many on this 1994 VR6?

When it died at 70mph did you get any clicking type noises from the fuses box area?? If you did could be a faulty relay either the fuel pump or ecu relay if they have never been changed its worth changing them.

Didnt hear any clicking + tobe honest the pump doesnt sound noisey on start-up either! I think fuel pump relay is 167? Not sure what ecu relay is?

109 i think is ecu relay mate, i only said it could be these as the GF had a similar prob with hers where she went to overtake a lorry and the engine died completely, pulled over and it restarted first time. I got her some new relays and the problem went

Worth a try and as said worth doing anyway. I would also be checking HT leads and Coilpack etc for any breaks or cracks

Don't forget the engine crank speed sensor. Can go intermittent like this before full failure.

Ok changed both relays (109 & 167) but still cut out on me when driving home tonight!

The cam + crank sensors were both changed (same time) about 14mths ago - the coilpack was replaced (beru) about 12mths ago!

The HT leads havnt been changed - but is a faulty lead going to cause the engine to cut out?

What next?