Critical_Mass

Intermittent wheel noise

Hi all,

Got an intermittent noise coming from the passenger rear wheel, sounds like something is rubbing. Its a sort of faint/muffled squeaky ISH metallic noise and it does sound like a intermittent rotating noise. Ive swapping the front wheels for the rears and its made no difference. I cant see anything rubbing.

Im told the noise its making wouldnt be the bearing. Anything else it could be, its a very faint noise which is hard to hear unless the road is smooth, also sounds worse going round fast right corners when all the weight is on that side of the car. Ive spun the wheel with it up in the air and there's no noise. I have got slightly longer wheel bolts due to the alloys, but the wheel bolts have been in ages and the noise is reletively new. Though the front tyres where really noise due to them being cheap and worn, so i dont know if this was masking the noise.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Have you checked the play in the bearings? If it's more noticeable under load then it might be a pad rubbing on the disc as the hub 'flexes'

Yeah doesnt seemed to be any play. There is SOME but there's always a slight bit of play even on new bearings.

Maybe worth taking the brakes off, ive wondering if its the rust on the outside endge of the disc rubbing onthe pad as you say. Can you sand this off without damaging the discs?

I usually just use a large flat blade screwdriver and sort of Lathe the rust off by spinning the disc with the screwdriver held against the carrier. Also no need to take anything apart. Mind you dont pinch your hand in something. Hurts and easily done!!

Yeah, it's most likely an intermittently binding caliper (compare the heat of both side after a run) or as above, corrosion on the outer edge of the disc - needs bashing off every couple of years.