VR6Pete

One step forward, 5 steps back...

Don't get me wrong, I love my corrado and Ive not really driven it yet!

But what is it with corrodo's? There's no such thing as a simple job though, no matter what job ive attempted, it always results In a marathon of a job, or parts break snap or disappear into air!

Here's a few examples;

Removing sunroof motor (which was not working) I ended up ripping the trim.

Doing heater matrix broke heater controls

Replacing something as simple as my the radiator brackets for shiney ones, seems the mounts are knackered now it's going to be a dremel job to remove the existing bolts!

Removed head lights, clips snapped rear screws rotted away! New lights needed!

Then as I closed the bonnet the cable had stretched and wouldn't open again!

Every price of trim I removed for other general bits snap / break etc..

Went to fit goodridge hoses, ended up needing 3 new lines...

And now fuse 21 keeps blowing!

At least my spoiler works, but I live in fear of that stopping working at any time!

I sometimes feel a bit deflated with it all as I've not actually driven the bloody thing yet! Seems like every job I do results in either other things needing fixing or additional parts required!

One day im hoping once these jobs are done, it will all be ok, or at least that's what I'm convincing myself...

Having owned mk3 golf vr6, mk3 VR6 the build quality of a corrado is not very good in comparison... And I wouldn't change this for anything!!

Happy fixing!

Pete

Is always the way with all the cars ive had. Simple jobs that i think can be done myself turn out to be a nightmare.

Keep at it. You'll get there in the end. Will be well worth it when its a nice day, lovely stretch of road and the roar of that VR puts a smile on your face. And

watching the spoiler go up and down :-)

Hi Pete,

Welcome to Corrado ownership.

Kind regards,

The rest of us.

:)

Seriously though, I know exactly what you mean. I posted something similar to this about 6 months ago!

I've only owned mine a couple of weeks and posts like this really worry me. I know it's unlikely that I'll be excluded from the pains and difficulties that others seem to go through. So I'm currently looking at it from a relatively pain-free experience. But I am absolutely in love with the charatcer of the car. Keep with it... there'e only a finite number of things that can break and everntually you'll get to the point where enough has been changed to make it a little more reliable.

Ive come to the conclusion that thats how old corrados are! Everytime i go to do a job on it something else appears or breaks, There can`t be much left on mine to replace, yesterday i decided to start replacing the rear calipers and the anti roll bar rubbers, What a nightmare day trying to do the arb bushes on my own then the rear calipers wouldn`t bleed up so just gave up last night!! Some times i hate this car so much and wonder why i bother as its on sorn most of the time and am seriously thinking of just selling up and moving on, After a full engine rebuild i have a small undetectable water leak around the gearbox side of the block, This car just does not and refuses to be fixed

No wonder Corrado's aren't selling at the moment... any potential buyers come on here and get scared off owning them :D

Don't get me wrong. I'd never want to sell the corrado. Defo ate investment for the future once I've finished rebuilding it!

It just needs more investment of my time and money to get it to the standard I want it.. As you can see from my attached pics, I like my cars to look clean and go like stink :-)

Don't want to put people off buying one, they practically are a classic car now IMO, and as such you'd expect things like this to happen, afterall it has been on the road since 1994 :-)

Love it to bits, just gotta keep on at it!!

Pete

Just think if it wasn't a Corrado they'd have all gone in as PX for new cars on the scrappage scheme. There's no getting away from the fact that they're now old cars, and all old cars are a pain to work on in one way or another.

I've just MOT'd my 11 year old Micra runabout, needed wipers, replacement for two faded indicator bulbs and a new CV boot, it cost me £19 for the bits. I guess a Corrado may well cost me rather more

so true, i've now started to tackle jobs in one go rather than little ones at a time.

new rear beam mounts = take beam off and renew everything, including brakes

new head gasket = rebuild head

new drop links = drop subframe and renew everything

small job = big job :lol:

Maybe you need to take off your boxing gloves before handling delicate trim items!

Part of the problem with Corrados is that they seem to have worked well for a long time, and have now got to the point where a lot of the original parts which you wouldn't expect to replace very often are reaching the end of their life. Some of these parts would go on quite happily for a few more years under normal use, but are worn enough to succumb when removed to replace to something else.

Coming from MK2 Golfs, the Golfs seem to be much easier to work on, have a lot less to go wrong, and to be honest don't seem to go wrong quite as much, despite being older. They also seem to have stronger interior plastics too.

If this is progress, it will be interesting to see what the MK6 Golf is like when (if) it gets to 20 years old!