tony_ack

Lots of alarm problems - probably time for a new one!

My current alarm is a Laserline 996 that came with the car, and I've also got the factory immobiliser fitted. There are quite a few problems with it, so I was wondering if they can be fixed, or do I just ditch it and get a new alarm? I'd rather not buy a new one if the old one can be fixed, as they're not cheap!

Problem 1... The siren is very very quiet. There is a key switch on the siren, but it seems to be the same volume on both positions. However, when I disconnected the battery to do some work, the siren went off, and was very loud... Why won't it be loud all the time?

Problem 2... every so often the alarm will fail to respond to the remote fob. I don't think it's a battery issue as the fob is only 6 months old, and it only happens about once a week. To get round it, I usually unlock the doors on the key so the alarm goes off (luckily very quietly - see above!) and then keep pressing the fob until it finally responds

Problem 3... full-closure is a little temperamental. Sometimes it works properly when I lock on the fob, but sometimes it will start to close the sunroof/windows for about a second, then just stop. If I put the key in and hold it, full closure works fine.

Any ideas of how to fix all this, or should I just look at getting a new Cat 1 alarm?

I'm not an alarm expert by any means. But you read a lot of stories about people having problems with old alarms and immobilisers. If it were me I'd be inclined to get a new one installed and all the old bits removed. If it's starting to play up then it may leave you stranded one day.

Hi Tony,

Sounds like indeed a new alarm would be a good choice, i'm a clifford man after having 4 now in various cars 2 of which have been on my vr as after 10 years it started to play up a little, i put it down to all the electrics getting tired so had the more up to date version of the same alarm fitted again and it actually cost £50 less that the original i had installed when i bought the car in 1999 Lol!

I go to Technicar on Abbydale road sheffield. if you mention the Corrado Club GB and flash your card you should also get a little discount too.

Give them a call and have a chat first, i have sent a few folk there and have always had good feedback from those people too!

Kip

Dont like to moan generally but I'm not happy with Technicar. May have been a one off but service and attitude left a lot to be desired to say the least. Will fill you in with the details if you wish but beware!!

Really Dave? thought you were happy with them, would like to hear about it mate so what did they do? whack it up in here i think as would hate to hide anything from folk especially if i have recomended somewhere and they aren't coming up trumps. Maybe times have changed there over the last few years...

Not good :(

Had a new alarm fitted by technicar, top of the range jobby, to ensure no problems with an ageing system before my big trip!!

The fitter rushed through the fitting in a couple of hours but it seemed ok so didnt think much of it at the time.

Last day of a 10 day road trip the ignition circuit cut out resulting in a recovery back home. I changed the ignition switch and usual relays but no cure so requested Technicar to inspect fitting. He took a week to show, mysteriously cured the problem somehow but suggested I had a bad connection elsewhere '100% cant be an alarm fault'!

Ok, so it seemed to be working now so I took it down for the MOT test only for it to cut out again, resulting in another recovery home [only 2 miles this time though]. On inspecting the wiring it was clear that there was a bad connection in a sealed unit within the system. Requested another visit from technicar. Waited another week but the technician didnt show[due to illness] did get a call on the day he was due but no apology for inconvenience, another week before the original fitter showed and corrected the wiring fault but told me that I had damaged the wiring deliberatly. No mention of an apology, no suggestion that the unit could have been fautly or a manufacturing fault, he just blamed me.

As if I had wanted all the hassle, time wasted and cost. I will not us these guys again.

The alarm has behaved since so as long as I dont vandalise it again I assume it will be ok!! If it goes wrong again I feel a discussion with the ombudsman may be in order.

I know anybody can make a mistake but they should have the balls to own up and apologise, sorry for moaning just felt the need to warn you.

Hmmm... not sure about Technicar now!

Either way, a new alarm will have to wait a couple of months due to lack of funds

Really gutted to hear you had so many problems dave after my recomendation, that's not good at all! Hopefully it'll be ok now they've been out to it again.

Still annoying all the same :( guess i'll retract the recomendation as i'd hate to say they are good when clearly customer satisfaction is not a high priority for them.

Must come over soon!!!