Sexual Castles

Transmission Help

Got a G60 and was trying to find out what gearbox is in it to find out if I can fit a drive cog and speedo cable instead of the electric sensor? Also am I right in thinking that some ecu's need the electric speed sensor?

There is a stamp on the bottom of the casing 'AMC04082' but all I can find info on is 020 etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum and good username!

The gearbox code is actually on a plate at the top near the shift tower - what car is it from though as all Corrado's used 02A not 020...

ECU doesn't need the signal but the clocks do so you will need mechanical clocks - assume this is the reason you want to change it??

Thanks for repying so quickly. Will go and have a look in a minute, its from a corrado but its now in a mk1 golf. The guy who built it put the full corrado interior in it and im putting it back to the mk1 golf dash/clocks which is why I need the mechanical speedo. Any idea on if I can convert it from electric sensor?

sounds like youve got a golf rather than a rado.only older mk2 and mk1 golfs,sciroccos,jettas..etc used 020 boxes.all rados are 02a

but its common in europe that they bolt 020 boxes from desiel golfs to g60 to fit in older golfs mk1s and mk2s.

To change to cable drive you need-the correct drive cable and mechanical clocks.there are lots of types of speedo drive cable both LHD and RHD choose wisely......

1) remove the plastic electric speedo drive from top of the gearbox(think its a 21 or 22 mm spanner required)

2)fit the mechanical cable in the hole left after removing the sensor,feed it through the gromet on the bulkhead to back of the instrument panel

3)push the speedo connector on the back of the clocks and other electrical connections then fit the clocks.

Thanks dannyboy, Ive had a look and its an 02a box not 020, but ive decided to go another route and have managed to source a complete digifiz set of clocks/loom etc. as the dash I had was a series 1 so it had the old screw on type speedo cable and after trying to find old speedo cables I thought it best to just keep it all electric as even the later types are becoming rare. Gonna have a search on here and see if anyone has whacked one in a rado