holeinmk1

1.8 16v kr not running right. please help!

ok so it started about a month ago, the c started to lose power, acceleration was down and fuel consumption has gone through the roof, not to mention it now idles at 750 rpm as opposed to the previous 1050rpm. at first i thought something had perhaps been knocked out of adjustment and foolishly, i put up with it. however 2 weeks ago i filled the tank and put some redex through the system(in case it was a blockage, or some carbon build up etc). the c did'nt get any better, so i had a family friend (whos a mechanic) check the car over, he checked the timing, spark plugs etc and he thought that the problem may lay with the metering head and that it would be a good idea to clean the metering head and throttle body.

so thats what i did this weekend, now after i had cleaned them and put them back on the c, the car does run slightly better but still not as good as it used to, as in its still very sluggish and quite slow. the car was tuned prior to its last mot (feb), and the tuner commented that the engine, despite its miles was in very good condition. i have also checked the isv over the last weekend and it appears to be operating fine.

I'm getting really stuck now, the car is due a service(i'll be ordering the bits this week) but i can't see how new plugs and fresh oil will fix this! I need the car for work, i'm quickly running out of ideas(the most appealing is to replace it and do some work on it(theres an ever growing list of other jobs) but i digress...)

Help!!!

Tom :scratch:

Id start with the blue temperature sensor. Always cause problems on vw's when they go, will be about £10 from gsf.

Id start with the blue temperature sensor. Always cause problems on vw's when they go, will be about £10 from gsf.

except its a k jet

Wrong engine - KRs don't have a blue temp sensor!

There are three temp senders on the gearbox side of the head. They're all rated the same, but feed different things (e.g. dash gauge, 'ECU'). Try swapping the plugs to them over to see if it makes a difference.

K-jet running issues are tricky to diagnose and it could be many things. The metering head itself shouldn't really get dirty as the fuel will keep it clean, though the air flow meter (big flap under the rubber boot on the airbox) can get oily to the crank ventilation. A good clean out of that, the air intake piping and throttle body are a good idea though, and you should try to do it every service if you can especially since older engines breathe a bit heavier. Alternatively you could dump the crank ventilation deposits into a bottle, and blank off the flange into the airbox. Also check that the pressure plate is moving correctly (be careful)

Check also for air leaks, and that the CO adjustment screw is still there. If all that fails, you need to start looking at fuelling - check the injector seals aren't perished, and test the flow patterns. If you can get hold of a fuel injection pressure testing kit with the correct unions for k-jet, you should check that the system is holding the correct pressure. The cold start valve can leak also, which will cause problems.

Good info here:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=99852.0

thanks everyone, its being tuned and have few new parts to fit on sunday so will check everything. really hope its something cheap...

cheers Tom