kernow-valver

new here and after some advice before the plunge

hi all, been a member for a while but never posted..(i dont think) so please go easy on me lol.

I am going up the line (i live in cornwall) on friday to look at a corrado vr6, ive had rados in the past but never a vr and my main concern is engine, i know what to look for elsewhere

the car has covered 160k which is fine by me but i am aware that parts for these motors can cost, my main concern is the chain, ive done a search on here and found very mixed opinions, the car has vw service history up untill 130k and i asked if and when the chain was last done i was told that the chain was "checked" and tensioners done at 127k, surely if they were doing tensioners they would have done the chain?

im going to do the chain when i get back, if i get the car, so i geuss i shouldnt really be worrying, is 160k high for these motors? ive had plenty of vws in my time and many of them have gone way past that with no problems but for some reason im extra paranoid about getting a vr lol

apart from that is there anything particular i should be looking/listening for? apart from the obvious front end accident damage on the legs

many thanks in advance

160k should be fine... Make shure the engine is cold when you go to start it. Mine has 170k but have done a complete rebuilt on 150k... Not that it needed, everythingg was still ok.

If you are ready to do the chain, tensioners and guides then I would say theres is not gona be any suprisses

Yeah the VR engine is ticky when cold, but you should notice if the chains need doing - sound like marbles in a tin apparently.

Get the car up to temp by taking it for a good drive see that it pulls right., if possible take the spark plugs out and check the condition of them particularly cylinders 1 and 6!! if its burning oil they'll show it. WHich could turn out to be valve stem seals or worse bore wear.

Look through the receipts and see if any work has been done - even if the owner says it has, without a reciept there's no real proof.

EDIT - sorry just seen what youve put about the chains etc. if you're thinking of changing them anyway no probs. Still i would check for burning oil as if its the valve stem seals that are leaking oil into the cylinder you may as well get this done when you do the chains. Bore wear on the other hand would need more drastic action of getting the cylinders bored out and larger pistons.

Edited by Critical_Mass