Portent

Engine and gearbox mounts

Please bear with me as I don't have a lot of mechanical knowledge.

In a month or two I'm taking the Corrado up to my brothers which is a few hours drive away. He is very mechanically minded and has access to garage facilities including a car lift. I'd like to get a number f things done including the engine mount which I'm fairly sure needs replacing due to quite a bit of engine movement. So I want to get any parts ready before I go up there.

So my questions:

1) How many engine mounts are there (told you I had no mechanical knowledge)?

2) What other jobs is it worth doing at the same time for preventative maintenance - such as gearbox mounts (again - how many are there)?

3) Should I be getting VAG mounts or source them elsewhere (any recommendations)?

Thanks.

Ill answer number 1.... Three mounts, one gearbox right side, one engine left side and one in the middle in the front

Go with Vibratechnics or VW. For the GB mount use a MK2 Golf Deisel mount. Don't be tempted to buy pattern parts- complete false economy with mounts!

Thanks. What's the advantage of the mk2 diesel GB mount?

it can take higher torque better, it's a little more rigid than the standard one so allows slightly less movement of the gearbox.

you mean the front mount? Yeah I have. transmits a lot of vibration into the cabin. On turnover it felt like someone was bouncing on the bonnet! At idle the interior shook a little bit. My own experiences with it, and I didn't mind it tbh.

Cheers mr monkey :lol:

Was it quite harsh vibrations?or was it engine transmitting through the chassis?.Still in the process of doing my 20v and ive been warned that the engine does buck about abit so maybe stronger front mount would be nice.but not going solid or poly

engine through the chassis, nothing major.

Solid and poly mounts are such a bad idea in any road car. I know in racing they use the standard rubber mounts up to GT3 (porsche Cup etc) and also a contact who used to work for ProDrive agrees that the pliable nature and absorbency of rubber mounts are far superior to much more stiff items (which the OEM wouldn't have allowed for when designing the chassis anyways) in road cars which just don't need solid mounts to work well. My 2p.