Sign in to follow this  
steven_j_bennett

Sunroof broke and one side jammed open on tilt!

HELP!

Its stuck open and interiors getting soaked everytime it rains worried about damaging my Electric Recaros not to mention having to sit on soggy seats!

I know the Cs sunroofs have always been troublesome and was just waiting for the day it broke so i could do the passat mooroof modification! But it could have happened in the summer when it doesent rain quiet as much!

The problem ive got is that the sunroof is tilted open and when i go to close it only the drivers side of the sunroof starts to close! I know that this needs a proper repair to fix but is there ant way that i can close it until i get the time/parts needed to perform the moonroof conversion?

Any advice welcomed!!!!

Steve

sounds like your cable has come adrift or snapped off completely... :|

If you watch the side that still works, you should be able to see a part moving along a track... find this part on the broken side and, with a long thin screwdriver, move it along as you slowly close the roof... it should come down almost all the way down, but it won't lock down due to the cable not activating the locking part of the mechanism...

I'd advise putting some gaffa tape over the seal until you can get it sorted out once you've got it pretty much down as far as you can... 8)

You can get at it a whole lot better if you are willing to strip out the headlining, but as a temp fix, this works well enough to keep the cars interior dry... 8)

I fitted my moon roof today (only took about 2 hours to take the old one out and put the new one in) so I know exactly the pain in the ass that you're suffering from at the moment... :roll: :wink:

Hope you get it sorted... 8)

Thanks for the info! will try it as soon as it gets light enough!

Just been looking on the forum at the moonroof modification and was wondering is it really as simple as removing interior lining and unbolting and unplugging then just bolting and plugging the passat one in? Im sure i can get the interior trim and headlining out easy enough but was wondering if i needed any modification to the passat roof to make it fit?

Thanks

Steve

nope, plug and play as the instructions say... :)

Suprised me how easy it actually was... Follow those instructions and you'll be laughing... 8)

Use your original motor though, so that you know it's the correct connections for your car's wiring loom... ;)

If it helps steven, I just had the same fun and games myself. I'm not a very hands on Corrado owner though so I had to go to a local garage.

Their labour charge was £125 (which was damn good cause I know they had to spend a bit of time on it) and I supplied the parts directly from VW at a cost of about £100 to myself.

I can give you the part numbers I had to use, as the side that broke for you is exactly the same side that broke for me.

Or of course you can do the moonroof mod, which seems rather popular :)

Thanks jims16v Part numbers would be usefull!

I like to think im a bit handy with a screwdriver/socket set so i think im going to attempt the moonroof modification first plus i like the sound of a glass roof too!

Im going to go to my local breakers tommorow and see if i can get a moonroof from a passat but if not i suppose its a trip to my local rip off merchants (VW) on Monday for new genuine parts!

What year passat is it im looking for? ive read 1994-1997 but have also been told from 1992 onwards?

Is there anything that i should worry about when taking the Headlining out (like those tiny plastic clips that are hidden everywhere that break as soon as you look at them)?

Thanks guys for your info would probably have just ended up booking it into VWs at major cost no doubt if i couldnt find out this information it is much appreciated!

Steve

Well... I was always told 1992 to 1994 (which were the ones without a proper grille on the front of 'em) were the ones to use... However, mine came out of an L plate (1995) one which was the later version of the passat with a grille... I didn't realise until I'd paid for it and was on my way out, and I spotted the bootlid with the number plate on it... (it had been front ended, and was already partially stripped!) Anyway, it fits like a treat, with no washers needed and it was just a straight bolt in swap... 8)

If you're unsure, have a good look at yours first, measure the roof panel (INCLUDING THE SEAL!) and then compare it with any that you think may well fit.... The mechanism looks identical, except for the stupid little arms that kept snapping off on mine... :evil:

Things to watch out for while doing the swap include:

Mind your fingers while trying to remove the coat hooks... the plastic outer pulls up and off the metal inner to reveal the screw, and it's sharp in there! :|

The clips on the trim over the rear window are known to break, so be careful with it (I've not broken any yet...)

Take the motor off the sunroof before you start to unbolt the roof... it's suprisingly heavy and unbalances it when you try to lift it out of the car... :roll:

Undo all of the bolts that hold the roof in starting at the back of the car working forwards... The back is supported so it won't drop and twist the mechanism... support the front on your head, and undo the final 2 bolts and then you should be able to swing it out through the door on your own... 8)

And, Be EXTRA EXTRA careful when removing the roof lining... It is VERY flimsy, and if you aren't careful it will break where the hole for the sunroof is in it leaving you with either a rip or a nasty crease that you won't be able to get out... :| I'm lucky that I only did this on a scrap car that I was taking the roof out of, so I knew to be careful with mine! ;) :mrgreen:

I did my swap in a little under 1.5 hours today... but I've not yet put the roof lining back in 'cos I need to clean it and I also need to fit a new bee-sting and some other goodies that will require me to get some wiring up above the roof lining... ;)

Hope this helps, and good luck!