benzo_26

No full beam!

Hi, had the car a few weeks and have my first problem. I'm not really techincally minded so this may be a quick fix but hoping someone can point me in the right direction as a starting point. Was driving the other night with full beam on, then it went dark. Only the side lights were working. If I turn full beam off I get the dipped headlights working fine, but flicking up to full beam just puts me to side lights. I've had a quick look at the fuses and they don't look to have blown but maybe they won't always looked burnt? THe rear number plate lights were also flickering and have now gone out and the interior light around the cigarette lighter flickers like a disco ball. Don't know if they are all connected or just co-incidences..

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

check the back of the fuse box cover it tells you what fuses do what and from memory the interior lights and cig lighter are on the same fuse. Does the car have an uprated headlight wiring loom? if you're not sure check the plugs that go into the back of the lights for signs of crimped wires AND check behind the passenger light to see if there are any fuses and relays tehre (sign of a upradted loom), there will be cables coming directly off the battery. If one of the relays are duff that can cause light issues.

If an after-market look is installed then you may find the dim-dip resistor has not been disconnected (which you need to do)

Yeah check your passsenger side headlight, have a look behind it to see if there are any fuses or relays, if so then you have an uprated headlight kit. If the kit is open to the elements then change both relays and both fuses, halfords sell them, that way you know they wont have any water damage,if this solves your problem then wrap the relays and the fuses in insolation tape that wasy the moisture cant get in. It should prevent any further problems.

I have had a hell of a time with my uprated headlight kit lights kept cutting out due to the fuses or the relays getting moisture in them.

Let us know how you get on

The resistor Supercharged speaks off it on the inside of the passenger wing just behind the light, its a bar like item with a connector on either end.

Thanks guys I have had a look and it is definitely an upgraded unit, there is a plastic bag wrapped around the wiring loom to obviously protect it from moisture which clearly hasn't worked very well!

I will try all the things suggested tomorrow and report back with my first attempt to do some car DIY. Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated.

Hi all just to update, I finally got the beam sorted. As suggested by you guys water had corroded some of the parts, it needed 2 relays, fuses and fuse holders.

Many thanks for the advice .