nick_corr

does any1 know?!

hi there! this morning my corrado decided it wont start, i put the ignition on but when i switched the key to turn the engine on, the dials make a creacking like noise and the light in my dash started flashing... and it keeps doing that if i try to turn the engine on...i suspect the imobiliser, but i aint no expert!

can any1 help?

I had a very similar issue recently. I'd left something metallic laying against the positive battery terminal whcih was then touching the bodywork. When I tried to start the car the dash went blank, the engine wouldn't turn over and a horrible clicking noise eminated from the dash. I guessed it was electrical and simply removed the item laying on the battery and it started fine.

Obviously yours won't be the same thing but it could be current leakage somewhere.

Or could it just be a flat battery?

I may be wrong but I would have assumed an immobiliser issue to cause the car not to turn over but is unlikely to affect the dash and cause any noise.

it could be a current leakage somewhere i havent checked yet, but i did check the battery and it's perfectly fine!and the there's no noise coming from the dash now, it was this morning wen i tried to start it up and it sounded like the dials turning... now if i try to start it up just the lights will go off wen i put the ignition on...

cheers for that! :)

sounds like a dead ignition barrel.... the fact your dash goes out when you turn the key says that the barrel is causing the short

Worth starting with the ignition switch. VW usually have it on the shelf as it's a 6N Polo part.