<neil>

In at the deep end...

Hi folks,

Just bought my first Corrado! After months of careful research and looking, I somewhat impulsively went for a blind Ebay buy while on holiday :eek: 1990 1.8 16v in red with 130k on the clock. It's not in the best conditiion (mates already started calling it the red lemon...) and unfortunately I'm not much of a mechanic so imagine I'll be needing some help from you guys at some point! Bit of a step up from my 1.2 Clio though so already enjoying it.

Here's a list of things I know I need to address:

• Awful paintwork - bad respray at some point
  • Some rust - doesn't look too bad
  • Alloys in bad shape - need a refurb
  • Front suspension very low and hard - not suitable for driving in Edinburgh!
  • Wet footwell - possible leak or heater matrix issue
  • Spoiler doesn't raise automatically but works on the switch
  • Couldn't get full beams to work other than flash mode on initial night drive but could just be me (second position of headlight toggle switch?)
  • Rear washer ain't working

I've got a couple of engine-savvy mates who will hopefully give me a hand checking out the engine soon. Seems to be driving well so far but not had a chance to take it out properly and if there are any engine problems, there's not much going for it and I might as well fire it right back on Ebay and look for something in better nick. It does have a full VW service history up to 2005 (110k) though, which is encouraging.

As it's been ****ing down all day, I'll hopefully be able to confirm whether there's a leak or not when I leave the office (the seller assured me there were no leaks and the footwell was only damp as he'd just washed the carpets but very dubious about that...). I know it could also be a heater matrix issue but not sure how to tell if this is the case - turn the heater on and leave it for a while??

My mate's brother works at a body shop in Fife so hoping I'll be able to get a good deal on body/paintwork and maybe alloys if I do go ahead with it. Not had a chance to see what suspension's on it at the moment but it really needs to go as two inches ground clearance really doesn't fly on Edinburgh roads... Sounds like Koni shocks and H&R springs would be a good way forward but they're pricey and I've not got a lot of spare cash...

Cheers,

Neil

Welcome! Sounds like you've got your hands full- you're in the right place though ;) Pics?

I'll put one up tomorrow of the oil leak I just discovered after taking it for it's first decent drive :( coming from the left of the engine bay, actually dripping down off the very side of the splitter but too dark now to investigate properly...

Welcome and you're going to be on here a lot by the sounds of that description.

And you spent how much on that pup? Sorry, turkey? Oops I meant project. :thumbleft:

Another scottish corrado, great stuff and hello!

I've got a 150k mile car so trust me, it's going to need some time and money. However this is the place to be if you find your corrado has a little more character than it should.

Edited by elliott

[quote name=';734444]I'll put one up tomorrow of the oil leak I just discovered after taking it for it's first decent drive :( coming from the left of the engine bay' date=' actually dripping down off the very side of the splitter but too dark now to investigate properly...[/quote']

Hmmm..dripping off splitter? I'd have thought more power steering fluid if it's that far forward?

Sorry for delayed replies! Yes it was oil - turns out the engine was overfilled by last owner but doesn't look like there was lasting damage. Have changed the oil and filter and replaced dipstick and oil pressure switch, which were both leaking. The gearbox mount's been replaced as well with Golf MkII diesel as the original was completely shot. Fitted a K&N air filter too, mostly because the old one was covered in oil after the overfill!

Need to flush the power steering fluid this weekend - it's below min and also red rather than green, which is apparently the wrong kind! The pump's making a hell of a racket though - hoping it is just the lack of fluid... Also want to flush the coolant but that's a bigger job I've not read up on enough yet. And the brake fluid definitely needs changed but haven't read up on that either! Buying stock suspension from rodmax so will get them on as an intermediate measure until I can afford Koni TA + H&R springs...

All easy jobs there, coolant flush involves removing the bottom pipe from the radiator but I'd check the condition of your water pump if you're going to all the effort of changing coolant. Power steering is much the same, remove the pipe at the pump and turn the wheel back and forth. DO NOT run the engine with no fluid in the pump. The brake fluid is only easy if you invest in the right kit. Look online for the eezibleed kit and you'll be sorted. It can also be found in halfords but you'll pay top price.

Hope you get it sorted...

F.Y.I. I used citroen lhm fluid (mineral) for my power steering, if your level is low good chance your pump may be goosed.

Is your steering over assisted? ie very light.

Edited by elliott

Hmm was planning on flushing the coolant this weekend but having done a bit of reading on the forum it sounds like it's a bigger job than I'd hoped with having to remove the thermostat as well to flush the whole system. Was hoping I'd just have to disconnect the bottom rad hose, flush with water then reconnect and fill up! I do need a new alternator as well though so should maybe just go for doing the whole lot at once when I've got more time. Or just give in and get it into a garage before winter arrives and get them to bleed my brakes too!

Power steering fluid's been flushed but concerned it might be leaking after having ATF in it for an unknown period of time. Will keep an eye on the level...

aslong as you dont have to get your car driveable at the end of the day dont be scared to have ago, everythings fixable! if i had to pay for the labour on my car, i would have no money in my bank right now!, theres loads of how to guides on the internet so have a read and get stuck in !!! and tackle these things one at a time, iv found everything seems more technical or harder then it actualy is.