goozie

Weekend projects

Thought i would share with you all my little projects as i get through the long list!!

Today i fitted a de'cat pipe, wasn't the esaiest of jobs to do with the siezed and rounded nuts!! but with gentle persuasion, power tools and lots of swearing!! i finally got there, i am pleased with finished job and even more pleased with differnce in tail note with out having to do a system swap!

I thought it was time to change the rear lights as i wasn't happy with the standard lights, i really didn't think they suited the car!!

So after trawling alot of magazines i finally found the ones i wanted! and they are now fitted, smoked crystal rear light clusters and side repeaters,

she is slowly getting there, i am hoping to put a polished inlet manifold on tomorrow,

it's been a while since i have added to this thread but there has been a few things done to my cherished money pit!!

As said in part 2 i have now put on a polished manifold, which i have colour coded in between each intake pipe to match the cars colour and quite impressed with the out come even if i do say so myself lol!

The other project that i undertook and have completed was a complete lower arm rebuild with cleaned and painted wishbones, new poly bushes, lower ball joints, tie bars and track rod ends,

i still have more work to do with a full brake disc change, brake hoses to be replaced with a full brake fluid change and all abs sensors replaced along with a front end respray and knowing me probably more things as i think of them!!

your manifold looks very similar to mine, except i painted the engine cover and cam cover,have you replaced your wishbones yet? if not be realy careful! drench the bolts with penetrateing fluid a few times every couple of days before you do it, there prone to snapping! if they havnt been undone in awhile, you should post this up in the members gallery..

wishboneboltsnapp.jpg

wishbonetapp.jpg

what could of been a few hours work turned into an absolute ball ache,

but i got it sorted,i know theres a member on here that had to replace his sub frame because of this. just a heads up..

i have already done the wishbones luckily i had no problem with tight bolts they came undone with some ease thankfully, but thanks for the advice.

i would put this up in the members gallery but i haven't a clue how to! lol

I do have another engine cover to play around with but i was thinking of trying to keep it the original colour some how!? not going to bother painting the cam cover as the head is coming of this winter to have an overhaul and be polished, was thinking porting as well but to much grief! and to finish it of a nicely polished cam cover to finish it all off ready for next year when i will bring her out to play for another 6 months.

ah nice, i did my engine cover + cam cover the same colour as my car, didnt turn out the way i thought it would though, think its due to the finish on the plastic cover being orange peeled or rough textured and idealy need it smoothed off before paint but i didnt,but still an improvment, glad your bolts didnt shear it was a nightmare for me, luckily didnt happen on the drivers side as the engine would have to be lifted for a drill to get in there, as for memebers gallary, at the top of this page click on non technical and its the top one on the next page..

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

As usual it has been a while since i have updated this thread! have a few things that have been done since i last wrote on this thread! which i will add once i have got round to taking some pic's,

My latest achievment of which i am fairly happy with the outcome is an eye level 3rd brake light,

After trawling the breakers yard for a light that i thought would do the job? i came across a smashed up Xreg astra that had its back window blown out which made it easier to see what the light was like, plus it's also an LED brake light which i belive to be brighter and less power hungry, i may be wrong but who care sit's in now!!

So with a careful bit of dremmeling and constant offering up i finally got there, hopefully if the pics load you can judge for your self what you think?

Looks really good! Do you have any pictures of it from the inside of the tailgate showing how you modified the trim etc?

i will get some pics of it tomorrow, i haven't fixed to the roof trim as i dont want ruin them in any way, so i fixed it to the rear window it's self.

THank you for the comments

i'm hoping to take a pic from inside a friends car, i thought i might have been the right hieght as my car has been lowered!! but i will endevour to get a pic from the right perpesctive for you.

i know it has taken me a while to get these pics up! but here they are,

The first one is taken from my golf which is slightly lower than standard, the second is from my works transit and is slightly brighter! which is the effect i wanted to give vans, lorries and 4X4's a heads up that i was breaking! as my car is lowered and i was concerned that the standard brake lights would not show up to them properly.

Looking good - reminds me I need to get some more black trim tape for mine, it keeps falling off :lol:

Today I got fed up that nobody had bought my billet crackpipe so I cleaned it up :) Always looked a bit sad (wasn't a gruvenparts one, was the Mason Tech one Voodoo missold me) as it was covered in storage dings and still had all the CNC ridges on that hadn't been milled out. Managed to get the drain plug out with an imperial allen key and a hammer (!) and was pleased to find it was on a standard 1/4" thread so I could stick a gas stopcock from the plumbing shop in it :) Then polished it with wet-and-dry: went through 80-120-180-320grit alternating directions and it came out quite nicely! The trick is to keep the paper and workpiece wet and use a small amount of Fairy liquid to keep the paper from clogging.

shiny-crackpipe.jpg

Took four or five hours on and off, my hands look like prunes now :lol:

Stone

Decided to start the weekend early and get a few niggling joba done today specially as i had booked a day at a friends workshop to use there spare ramp, first job was a full service, plugs,oil and petrol filter, engine and gearbox oil change, and replaced the old sump plug with a new magnectic one, no need for air filter as i have a cone filter and i wash and re'oil regularly,i aslo changed the filter media that i have above my air intake for the cabin as it was rott it's amazing how dirty it gets, really surprised that vw didn't put a cabin filter in!! the media i get from work as i'm an air filtration engineer, lucky i suppose?

Next job was a full brake disc and pad change along with new rear wheel bearings and front abs sensors, whilst i was at it i also cleaned up the calipers,

Then it was time to attack my drivers door! rattling windows and door catch not working properly! so i replaced the door catch with one i brought from swompy and now the door closes perfect, removed the door card to acces the window rollers was a bit dubious at first as i thought i might have to take the window out but just popped the ball from the roller with a leaver bar slid the old roller out slid the new ones in squeezed them back in and now no rattly window :-)

still have more jobs to do but not today lol

Finally started a job i have been wanting to do for a while and that was clean the door cards, i got hold of some saddle soap, sponge and some leather balm, removed door cards and got to work as i had the cards off i also put in some new door speakers, nothing speacial but they fitted like a glove, with no cutting or jiggin required, olny a bit of slef adhesive foam to stop any rattling!! between the speaker and holder,

As i was getting in to my cleaning the seats came out, yes out!! so i could clean them properly, so as the seats where out i clean the carpets with a bit of carpet cleaner, then had the idea to install one of dave16v's handbrake repair brackets, with seats being removed made the job alot easier, (sorry dave had no 3.5mm drill so used tex bolts but work just aswell) i was getting carried away by this point, so cleaned all the plastics that was removed with a bit of fairy liquid and a plastic brillo sponge made light work of the dirt and came up well i even scrubbed the dash board! and door shut plastics,

Even with all that i even had time to install a center sunvisor, but before i could do that i had to respray it as it was grey and not cream which made it stand out like a sore thumb, the spray i used was plastic primer (white) with a cream spray from halfrauds and was pleased with the end result

And here we go again with a bit more to add to the weekend projects! Finally got the wiring sorted on my vdo gauges with much appreciated help from the forum members but mainly david wort and jsc999, but me being me went a bit further with install! i took the vdo gauges apart and cleaned them up but whilst they was apart i took the original lights out, i stripped these down to change the bulbs for led's and with a bit of tricky soldering did manage to get them all back together, and i must admit i am really pleased with the whiter lighter from behind which has now given me the urge to do the main dash!

has been a while since i have updated this thread! so i thought i had better get to it lol

So here goes, i recently purchased a BMC filter from Corozin, which i thought would be a nice touch to the car as i was getting fed up with over powering roar of a uncased power filter and also liked the look of the BMC's when it arrived i noticed that the sticker had signs of wear from the bracket but that didn't faze me as Corozin was completly honest with sale, i just pruchaed another one from Ebay, whilst the bonnet was up i thought i would also put in the srut brace which i had purched earlier in the year, the only problem i had with installing the strut brace was that it fowled the expansion tank! but with a couple of new holes drilled in to the bracket that was cured, all in all i am happy with the look of the engine bay now, just wish the bloody weather would sort it's self out so i can remove the engine for a rebuild!

The second thing to add to this thread today is, i have now fitted a new set of coil overs to the car, was planning on doing this until next year, but thanks to the councils spending on pot hole repairs or lack of i burst my n/s/f strut so the schedule was brought forward.