pallet30

stuck bonnet

hi guys just bought a g60 and can not open the bonnet, it opens the catch on the passengers side but not the drivers side. any ideas????

oh new to the forum so hi....

Hi there,

Sounds like the plastic bonnet release catch has broken. The passenger side is metal. You need to carefully prise open the tabs on the top of the grill and remove it. You can then manually pull the bonnet catch open :thumbleft:.

Normally it means breaking the grille and pulling the cable by hand. When mine got stuck i put the car on ramps layed underneath with a torch and a long thin rod and managed to push the pin lever to the side to release the pin.

Do a search mate its covered plenty of times.

If it is the plastic piece thats broken i have a spare metal one sitting around. its the last of a batch i got made up, this was the first one of the batch so it wasnt the best, but it will work. If you want it let me know.

Sounds like I was lucky then with my grill, came off intact. I did go very carefully as its painted and didn't want it getting wrecked!

thanks guys, im going to go round to it later today and see if i can release the grille without breaking it. ive not had the car long and just wanna sort some bits out under there.ill let you know how it goes .

cheers

If one half pops up then get someone to hold the bonnet release pull while you press down on the drivers side bonnet pin a few times usually that helps release the pin

i use a long metal rod out of one of the doors, you can poke that inbetween the grill and hook it into the loops of metal that the cable pulls.

am quite good at it now

If one half pops up then get someone to hold the bonnet release pull while you press down on the drivers side bonnet pin a few times usually that helps release the pin

yep,this is best way.Just hold down the side that opens and get someone to pull bonnet again and other side thats stuck should open

my bonnet cable was snapped when i got my vr6, you had to tugg on rope to release the bonnet, if you need to replace the cable, dont fork out £40+ for one when a bicycle tandem brake cable will do for £4.00

thanks guys its open now but can not see why it wont reopen on the lever. a bit more investigating. went in for mot today and had to lift the bonnet for them lol. bit embarrassing.