mmacneill123

Electric mirror help??

Hi folks, new here and will be shortly acquiring my first Corrado since 2005 :) and i know the electric mirrors are not working...any good pointers to fixing? Just remembered i may even have a fix-it manual somewhere but it was one of these 4-in-one (Golf, Rocco, Rado, Polo) so it might not be of too much help.... Apparently it is 'just' the switch unit but 'not working for years' sounds slightly suspicious to me... i.e. why did you not fix it for years :-)

Mine had two issues which affected only the passenger mirror:

1) The switch was dirty. So I took it apart ad cleaned it up. The mirror then tried to move but wasn't actually moving anywhere.

2) The mechanism inside the mirror had snapped. The motor worked fine but it wasn't moving the glass. So I took it apart and glued the plastic mechanism together again. It now works perfectly.

sounds like the connector has popped out of the switch,had that when i bought mine.Pull the switch out and have a look is it still connected

Cheers, thanks for that...i think he has said the connectors have corroded or something similar, just 'haven't worked for years' sounds a bit sussy, checked my Porter manual and it did not say anything specific about the electric mirrors.... Cannot say i have ever seen a Haynes manual for a Corrado ?

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

And a completely non-techie question, why is my profile pic and signature pic not showing????

Haynes don't do one but look out for a Bentley manual (£50 to £60 used).

You can check if the switch is getting power by turning the headlights on and covering the switch. There should be four LED's that illuminate the little direction arrows. They are very dim though so best done at night. Obviously if it's not getting power then it could be the fuse (sorry not sure which one) or the connector into the switch itself.

The door handle cover pops off and can be unscrewed after that. Then the switch can be removed. Check if the connector is firmly seated and doesn't need cleaning.

The next thing to check is whether the switch is gunked up inside. It can be opened by prising it apart (lots of small bits inside which may pop out) and give it a good clean and then re-grease the moving parts while you're there. Or a replacement switch is quite cheap second hand.

If that's all fine then it may be the motors. But usually one motor will still work so it's likely to be something in the switch.

When I bought my car the mirrors wouldn't work either. Turned out it was simply that they had seized due to lack of use. If the motor is whirring it could be simply a case of cleaning it up.

Cheers, everyone, everything is helpful but this is great, i am an expert taking Roccos to pieces but this is new territory :-) Bentley manual? Is that the publisher?

Haynes don't do one but look out for a Bentley manual (£50 to £60 used).

You can check if the switch is getting power by turning the headlights on and covering the switch. There should be four LED's that illuminate the little direction arrows. They are very dim though so best done at night. Obviously if it's not getting power then it could be the fuse (sorry not sure which one) or the connector into the switch itself.

The door handle cover pops off and can be unscrewed after that. Then the switch can be removed. Check if the connector is firmly seated and doesn't need cleaning.

The next thing to check is whether the switch is gunked up inside. It can be opened by prising it apart (lots of small bits inside which may pop out) and give it a good clean and then re-grease the moving parts while you're there. Or a replacement switch is quite cheap second hand.

If that's all fine then it may be the motors. But usually one motor will still work so it's likely to be something in the switch.

Edited by mmacneill123