Redfox

The Rising

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49057[/ATTACH]

Hi all,

I just bought a 1991 G60 Corrado three weeks ago. 103.000 Km and full servicebook etc. It's a Jet version in flashred, which means it have some equipment like powersteering, electric windows, electric adjustable and heated mirrors, electric tilt/slide sunroof, electric hight adjustable front lights, both front seats are hight adjustable, cassetteradio with code, flat rear bench with no center pillow, medkit and warning triangle in the luggage compartment and black cloth seating with red sewing and red inserts on doorcards and seatbacks, plus a silver stripe on steering wheel.

Of course the car have just turned 20 years old, so not being a teenager any more, it is in need of some tlc to bring it to how I want it.

After reading this page, many others and visiting VW dealerships far too often for spares, I quickly learned that it's going to drain some pocket money for a long time ;)

Well, I intend to show some pics and describe what i find and what I do about it, along with most probably a long line of Q's for you guys.

I am not afraid of wrenching, all though it's not my education. I had a Golf II before, and I spent 1200 hours and a pile of money to get it quicker and better handeling. Now it's time for a Corrado.

First: why a Corrado?

Because it's VW's only sportscar, more or less ever, and certainly the best they built. The modern Scirocco is completely without a soul and is just a Golf with a twist. Not at all interesting. Else I have been looking at a Porsche 944 (911's too expensive), and a Lotus Esprit Mk1, series III. Too fragile and The Corrado is better built in many respects.

As I understood it the Corrado (Spanish for fast blowing wind?) was VW's competitor to 944 and meant to be the better one. I've tried a well sorted 944, and apart from looking quite old and like a toyota Carine E inside, it felt a little lesser handeling than the Corrado.

So, I took the Corrado, and I'm glad I did. Enough about that.

Here's a picture of the car I bought.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48515[/ATTACH]

The point of this car is not to be a daily driver, but a well sorted car that can be driven on the road in weekends and for fun on trackdays, while not being an outright performancecar. The following will hopefully turn out to point in that direction.

Any critisism, comments and general feedback is happily taken into account.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Here an update.

I have polished the car for about 14 hours, and since it was more or less grey, the Flashred paint needed so much paintcleaner (red Turtle), that I had to buy an extra bottle.

After a thorough outer washing, the two or three times paint cleaner, then two layers of Turtle wax new dark green series, which is extremely easy to work with. Smells nice too ;)

This is what the car looked like inside all over... ;(

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48516[/ATTACH]

And this is what it looks like after a good cleaning:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48517[/ATTACH]

Many parts in the engine compartment are slowly removed and cleaned up, and the general cleaning, paintcleaner and new wax.

Bolts are removed and stainless ditto installed together with my more or less daily visits to a local VW dealership, which I unfortunately pass every day on bicycle on my way to job ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48519[/ATTACH]

Cheers,

Redfox ;)

Edited by Redfox

Update,

Well, Things are moving, and I decided to invest a little money in the way that I will try to concentrate on quality parts and long lasting items, for example in the suspension department.

Santa passed by a few days ago and brought these:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48524[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]48525[/ATTACH]

What a nice coincidence as I happen to be a complete fan of BBS. On my former Golf, I had a set of original BBS VW Corrado G60 wheels, a set of BBS RM's and a set of BBS RS001 ;)

These BBS is RC 323 in a wider size 7,5*17 et 35 with Goodyear Eagle F1 in 204/40-17WR which should be okay for roaddriving. I looked for these because they are very light and wider than normal, but I don't want scraping. I have been through that on my Golf, and don't want it again.The 7,5 inch width should allow for some more fun in corners.

A set of Toyo R888 is on the Christmas list for track days.

I have this idea that I will keep the 205 in front, and if possible put on a set of 225/something on the rear, if space allows. Any comments and experiences on this is most wellcome!

But I have important things to considder: the suspension is standard, and allthough being firm and nice, and completely faultfree, it wil have to go, as I REALLY DISLIKE any level of comfort. Since the purpose is a sharp car that can be driven somewhat hard on a trackday and countryside, I had to close the doors, turn off the light, pull the curtains and decide: Bilstein or KW?

I know them both as top brands, and while Bilstein is a wellreknowned company and some use it on the track, so is KW, even though it's a newly started company, more or less.

Deciding, deciding, hard to choose.

Okay here's what came out of it.

Look mum, what the cat brought home:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48526[/ATTACH]

If they are not hard enough, and does not give the performance I look for, I will let them go, and take the ultra hard set for track use. But it's important to remember, that it's not the harshness itself that gives good performance. It's the perfect setup for the occasion and that they keep the wheels firmly planted at all times, plus factors like minimal travel, quick action and slow action when needed, and distribution of weight to each corner. Anyway we'll see later maybe this weekend I can install them if the pouring down get to a halt.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Update,

I went over the engine with a friend who specialize in tuning VAG cars, and he found a rotten thin tube going to the manifold, and after changing that and cleaning up the sensor in the thick plastic tubes to and from the intercooler, it went from 0,4 bar to 0,8 bar stock standard apart from a little one way valve we inserted, not to suck false air.

It goes really really well now, and is far quicker than at first. To test the stability of the car, I went 842 km's in a day around my (small) country, and both pushed it and let it go relaxed. Not missing a beat. Most joyfull !!

The cableshift will have to have new bushings and a "U"-shaped metal bracket changed, to perform 100 percent again, together with a propper quick shift kit.

I read somewhere about some weight things to add on to the shift parts on this box, and would like to ask if any of you guys and girls know what to get, and what works?

I have ultracleaned the K&N panel filter in the box, plus extremely little filter oil to prevent it from coming into the sensors all over.

I just installed a set of Eibach anti roll bars front and back together with red poly bushings, that come along.

The Corrado already have both a front and rear anti roll bar installed from factory, but it can certainly be improved. The front one just comes off, and the red Eibach I put in place while cleaning up the area around it. Some stainless steel bolts and nuts as well.

The rear one is welded in place and just sits there. The Eibach one is bolted in place with some metal straps, and sits under the rear beam/axle.

So now I have a far stiffer one in front, plus the two in the rear.

What is the result?

Well, I went out testing on some twisty roads, and I can report back, that it is certainly worth the effort. The car lay completely flat, and the skidding is moved further up the speedrange, while the rolling of the body is next to nonexsistent. Exactly how I want it.

Note: the border between sticking and slipping is more narrow, as the limit is higher, but the warning is shorter. But once you get to know and use this, it's just nice, at least in my humble view.

Since it's pouring down these days I felt to do something about the drain system just in front of the front screen.

The little plastic cover that sit's on a Corrado is working, as this is all that is needed, but surely does not look good, so I took a Golf Mk. II part and cut it with a knife to shape.. Basically all you need to do is cut out a small corner towards the wipermotor (on a left hand drive car), and cut most of the rearmost edgeing away (the part that is hidden).

Start with the side towards the front screen, and fasten it with the original three plastic parts and it's clips (white) and small bushings. Then keep the front edgeing down (it stretches) with the original Corrado rubber sealing (both actually). This is enough and it looks the part, I think. Thanks to the guy here, who inspired me from his own mod, to do the same. Now all I need is a wiper motor cover, but it only exists for a right hand drive car. Maybe it's the same, just turned around. Guess I have to pay VW another visit.

Embarrasing that they now call me by my first name... ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48528[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]48529[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]48530[/ATTACH]

Things are beginning to take a shape on the car performance wise, and so far it's all good (hope to keep it that way) ;)

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Good work there. Cleaning the engine bay and spare wheel area is showing dedication :) Really love the wheels too.

Update,

So now my engine compartment looks a little more clean with some stainless bolts, new brackets, new ccoling bottle, new battery cover plus a battery jacket (not to prevent it from frost as I never drive in he winter, but to prevent it from a lot of heat from the engine, which kills batteries), oilpin, holder, a bunch of cover for oil add on, water add on etc.

The thin white tube is for an extra bar meter I set up inside the car to monitir the G'ladder. 0,8 bar stock standard, is quite nice I guess.

The brass oneway valve thing is for preventing fresh uncleaned air to be sucked in.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48531[/ATTACH]

Here is a pic og the tools for the KW's:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48532[/ATTACH]

If I should install my Eibach front strut tower bar, should I drill holes for the anchilaries (?) that is on the Corrado (and not a Golf II)?? Or delete the pins, by a hacksaw?

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Thanks Portent. Actually I took out everything inside the car and did the same. Just not on the picture. Also looking for leaks and rust, of which I luckily found nothing.

I will take some time, and I already almost forgot how my wife looks... ;)

Thinking about suspension tonight. I have to be carefull not to lower it too much so that I get negative angle on the track arms (?). Remember the purpose is not to slam it as much as possible, but to get the most performance out of it.

Guess I need to installl it with complete new bushings and bearings and make some testss to see how much is needed, before reversing driving abilities to negative.

Likewise on tires, which is extremely dangerous to mount too narrow tires on a wide rim, like they do in Germany. Smart to look at, but risks your life in a fast corner. Just my two-pence on the matter. Hmm, have to go horisontal for a few hours, as I have to compete in a running (by feet) tomorrow.

Question: What is the toe in/out on the Corrado G60?

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Update,

Today I spent quite a number of hours in the garage, stripping down the original suspension components, getting new bearings and installing the KW coilovers, and trying to set it up.

First testdrive reveals a nice firm, some would say hard, suspension. Sucks up things, while being completely planted. The car is now 125 cm high and sits much better on the ground. Exhaust suffers in the way that it is making clonks and I need to look it over with new rubbers to hang it in, asap. Time will tell more if this is good enough for track days. The car is now so stiff, that lifting one corner slightly, also lifts two other corners almost as much ;) It cannot twist any more. I will get to installing the two strut tower bars later on, which will hopefully take the last bit of flex and comfort ;)

One can really feel this is a quality set of coilovers, and I will report back some more later on. Highly recommended.

A few pics:

Goodies:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48542[/ATTACH]

Making rear end:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48539[/ATTACH]

Making front end:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48540[/ATTACH]

Fortunately old homemade tools from the Golf also fits the Corrado:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48541[/ATTACH]

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Ups, that picture sneaked in. Maybe soon time to retract from the mancave and go horisontal...

I also forgot to mention, that this new KW setup on the car makes it quicker, as the suspension does not eat up as many horsepowers as the standard setup. Good thing :cheers:

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Didn't realise the suspension made much of a difference to speed , great work on the cleaning especially the engine bay shows some real effort!!

Hi Captainredeye,

Thanks. Yes, it do make a difference, as the suspension travel will eat up some Hp, if too much movement, like for example the standard one. That is also one of the reasons why it can be difficult to transmit very much horsepower to a front wheel drive, apart from that they also have to steer.

Still need to clean up the gearbox, but now it's pouring down again, so it's time for some tv-action or this page.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Hi all,

Time to show you guys a picture of my car. Sorry for the dark skies, as it's been torrential rain last night, and still lurking at 20 o'clock.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48638[/ATTACH]

I tried the KW Inox-line coilovers tonight, at they are in my humble view firm but way too soft for my liking. Too bad I just spent good money at them. That's a down'er...

I got to talk over KW to make a clubsport version for the Corrado. I think that other people will find them hard, but that is a personal taste. I like it hard.

I don't think a version 3 is hard enough, but I would really like if some of you have any experiences with version 1, 2 and three and eventual the clubsport (from other cars, as they don't make them for the Corrado, which is sad.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48639[/ATTACH]

Any experiences?

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Update:

Hi all,

thanks for the nice words. No rain today, so I got out in the mancave and cleaned up the old BBS wheels. They are ball polished so it's a kind of reflecting shiny face, but with a twist.

Since I also recieved a new shiny set of BBS fittings, cenering rings etc. from the BBS importer, I graped the jack and put on the new wheels.

They are as stated 7,5" * 17", et 35 and they fit exactly. They could have been ET 30 or 32 but I have to drive around with the BBS a little more and also get it on a lift to look more carefully. Plan to change all exhaust rubbers for new original VW ones in the same time. Later on something else is on the list.

I would say these are the maximum on the front, while there's room for a 8,5" wide rim on the rear. Now, if only I had that...

Before: These are ? unknown 7" * 16" rims with 215/40-16 tires.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48692[/ATTACH]

After with new fittings, rings, bolts and circlips. These are 7,5" * 17" rims with 205/40-17 tires. Note the profile of the tires. It certainly drives more planted and a little harder as I want it :smug:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48693[/ATTACH]

cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Today I installed new exhaust rubbers all over (extra strong), so no more clonking ;) What a relief ;)

Cheers,

Redfox.

A little update.

I finally managed to clean the underside of the hood. Thanks for the help. I couldn't get the white spirit to work though, so I tried various chemicals, and it worked with good fresh 99 octane fuel. 1½ Liter and it was clean.

Some pics:

Good to cover the whole area, and this plastic for covering floors when painting interrior is jsut fine, as the fuel does not dissolve it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48795[/ATTACH]

Here's a good use of a VW membership card - not only for discount in Germany, but also for cleaning hoods!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48796[/ATTACH]

Finally got there. A litte Turtle paintcleaner and some wax, and hey presto, it's clean.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48797[/ATTACH]

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Update:

The plastic and rubber trim on the roof were perished, so I got a new set from VW. Very easy to install and certainly looks/works different.

Now the exterior is coming close to an end apart from new paint.

Anyway I have an idea about a rear skirt, but will have to work something out and testfit. I'll get back to that asap.

So now, I move to interrior, and here is the usual roof tilt/slide problem.

My case is the following:

I can tilt the roof up and down as normal.

I can press the slide, and it begins to react, than stand still, with no more than that.

removing the cloth inside, I can get to the four Torx 25 screws that secure the roof panel to the guides. I push the liner back into the roof, and take off the torx screws, and lift away the sunroof panel.

I will illustrate the following to make it clear what is happening.

Problem 1:

When I press the slide function, the right side guide slides back and engages the tilted metal lever, which is tilted into a groove. Then it moves back into the roof.

The left side does not do that, bacause the claw that is supposed to slide backwards and catch the lever, can only get to a point where it hits the lever, as that (the lever) is not positioned correctly.

Here's a picture of that:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48826[/ATTACH]

What happens is, that the left side lever, sometimes/sometimes not get's into the groove like the right hand side, but it's kind of caught into it, not centralized into that groove, and because of that, it cannot tilt propperly, therefore it have a wrong angle, and therefore the clay that is supposed to lock onto it, cannot lock.

Therefore the whole mechanism comes to a halt, and the roof wont slide.

So I press a little on the left side lever, and the claw can engage the lever, and the sunroof can slide into the roof.

Here's a picture: (though this is right hand side)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48827[/ATTACH]

Problem 2:

Then, when I press slide forward, back to closed sunroof position, the right side slides nice and easy, but the left side slides a little, then the lever part stops, and the arm that holds the sunroof, begins to go upwards prematurely, therefore risking to block or scratch the sunroof on the edge of the opening towards the rear.

I then let go of the button, press it again, and it all slides to a front position, and tilts.

Upon pressing the button to lower the now tilted roof, it comes back to normal closed position, also the left side.

Here's a picture of the let's say blocked left hand side mechanism:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48828[/ATTACH]

Questions:

1: What to do to adjust the left side to follow the right side?

In Bentley there's something called parrallel adjustment, but now it got dark, and anyway it's not very clearly described.

2: What to do with the non returning left side, after having slided the whole sunroof into the roof?

Is there a special thing to adjust or lube, as the manual only says use original VW sunroof lube?

3: it seems as if the guiderail on the whole raissystem clamped onto the roof is too tight for the left side claw and lever to move freely. Is this normal or is there something to inspect and/or adjust and/or lube?

4: The whole thing is drived by a gear on an electric motor. But is ths motor only having one cablepull or two?

By that I mean if it have two, maybe the cable on each side will have it's own attatchment, or are they each wound around the motoraxle in seperate ways (one clockwise, one counterclock wise)?

5: Or is the not too well sliding left guide/claw/lever coming to a stop because I actually took the sunroof off, and the say right hand side cable is the ONLY one pulling when closing the roof from having slided it back, and therefor because the actual sunroof plate is takes off, the left side cannot slide along as a slave?

Likewise, I was thinking, that when the sunroof opens, the left side is the mastercable, and the right hand side is a slave, and only following because the roof in os?

I have not taken it apart (yet), but it would be very interesting to know this and how it actually operated. Anyone?

I have looked around on many forums for this subject, but not really found any answers. I apologize if I just overlooked it. Please if anyone can advice on this, I'm a happier man!

Edit: I played with the little rubberpart on the rear end of each lever, and this is not the problem, as it does not make a difference in this case.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Update:

Hi all, I have now taken off the motor for the sunroof, and adjusted everything according to Bentley manual. Still the same problem, and as the left side lever does not catch propperly with the claw, it also disengages prematurely, therefore the sunroof raises up before it's free of the roof, and make scratches.

I guess I need some spares, even though I cannot see anything broken.

Now there's light in the glve compartment, just a bulb, real easy and cheap fix.

I cleaned up the gearbox, and installed a propper cover for the wipermotor from a Passat. Fits perfectly, and cleans up the scuttle area.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48884[/ATTACH]

Disaster have struck: A stone jumped up from the passing var, and hit one of my "new" old BBS RC323 rims, making a small mark at the outer edge.

Though timy but not liking that and seeing it as a broken surface, I would like to ask how to repair that propperly?

The rims are BBS C323 ball polished. Can that be repaired? and does it have to go to BBS in Germany?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48885[/ATTACH]

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Small update:

I looked at the front seats and the plastic surround of the tilt lever is broken on both seats, so off to VW to order new, and this is just to mention, that they have come up with a newer smarter model, that supports better. See picture. The old is to the left, the newer deeper model is on the right.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48955[/ATTACH]

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Today I finished four afternoons of polishing the flash red all over outside with Festool polishing stuff in grain 8000, then in grain 11000, all by hand. Then waxed the whole car in Turtle Platinum Liquid Wax, which is very easy to work with and gives a nice surface.

Changed some bolts and nuts for stainless as I cleaned up all the plus and earth points I could find. Installed a new 61 Ah Varta Silver battery, which is supposed to be the correct size.

Finally modified a new leather geargaitor from JF Boots, glued it on, and voila, a nice new fresh look to the interrior, with no cracked plactic like the standard item.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49031[/ATTACH]

And one og the finished article (will post one fitted tomorrow):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49032[/ATTACH]

Cheers,

Redfox.

Okay, here is the installed new gear gaitor, just cut and glued:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49038[/ATTACH]

A pic of the Corrado G60 Jet interrior:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49058[/ATTACH]

And here's a picture of the Corrado in strange light this afternoon - strong sunlight and heavy clouds:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49039[/ATTACH]

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

HI all,

I've got one of these:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49074[/ATTACH]

And I don't have the wireing for it. Could someone please enlighten me as to how to connect it and so on?

I see it's made for the newer facelifted Corrado, a VR6 extra sort of possibly, but I cannot insert it into the dashboard, and I cannot swap the dashboard frame for the newer model, as all other will change too. Is there a smart way around this, before I drill and cut? Would prefer to be reversible.

Changed a foglight today as it got shot by a stone while driving a little spirited ;)

I also polished the frontlights, foglights and front blinkers up with some Festool grit 8000 and 11000. Came up nice and certainly more clear than before after years of sandblasting on roads. Lights should improve a bit too ;)

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

very inspirational build thread making me wonder why I'm being so lazy in doing my C, I may have missed it if you said, so sorry to sound stupid, but what KW's are you running?

Hello Callum33, Thanks for the nice words.

It's a KW coilover set inox-line version 1. I just bought it a few days ago, and I am very sorry i did, as I thought it was much harder than it is.

Most people would probably say it's really hard, which it is to be fair, but not how I want it. So it will be up for sale here at home, incl. box and all, and I'll buy a Version 3, and hope this will be hard enough to satisfy the need. I really really dislike any comfort! And I want to know exactly what the wheels are doing. Of sourse a car should stay planted and not jumping around like with some coilovers and this is certainly not the case, as it realy feels planted. I mean the quality of the way it works can certainly be felt. Like with Bilstein PSS sets.

Let me know if you (or someone else) thinks this is hard enough for the occasional track day? I have other mods too as described above.

Anyway it's very very nice made and really shines quality. Not a bad buy I'd say.

Well, since you are a lucky guy and have a Corrado, why not tinkle with it and give it some tlc?

Let's see a picture of your Corrado, I bet it's nice!

I also sprayed an extra roof liner today. It is now black and looks okay, but is lousy to touch. So I cannot reccomend doing that.

Instead I will order some alcantara in black and glue it on, to be propperly made and looking. A sportscar surely should have had that in the first place, but since VW took a lot of money for the Corrado back in the days, there was not enough (?) moeny to give it a propper internal look. Better do it myself then, AAAANNNDDD it is always fun to make something better (I mean that). All mods I do must not look silly or stupid or make the car drive worse, but be an improvement both in looks and performance.

Of course it's in the eye of the beholder, but after 12 years with my modded Golf II, I've seen a lot that I for sure would say made them look crap.

Making a black roof liner seems to invoke a lot of small if's, but we'll see. More later on in the year.

I still have some parts that I have not changed yet.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49075[/ATTACH]

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Just a small update,

I bought a set of track arms, tie rods, and all other bits and bobs for the Corrado today. Only got to install the tie-rods this evening, as I have also ordered a set of Powerflex bushings for the arms and Eibach anti roll bars. Still in doubt if the arms are Mk. II or Mk. III???

Before installing anything I gave it a a good layer or rather 4 of high temp clear coat, to better be able to withstand time and water.

Arms are powdercoated, and wil be aditionally coated and rustproofed, before inserting any powerflex'es.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox