Storm Guy

Spoiler Motor Dilemma - help please

Well, after cleaning, regreasing and sorting out the rear spoiler mechanism, unfortunately was a little heavy handed with the reassembly of the actual motor and managed to break both carbon brushes.

The motor was originally fine, but suffering from the common, incremental staged spoiler rise syndrome, and full of debris. It also looked like a bit of heat build up on the negative terminal, judging by the blackening/deposit on the connector.

Issue was: A click (relay type) sound heard from the boot area when pressing the dash spoiler switch. On the click, spoiler motion would stop, then would have to wait for another click before the spoiler would rise a small amount, etc. Took about 4-5 clicks to full raise or lower. Of course the motor is now dead. From reading other threads seems to be the thermal overload kicking in - I'm assuming thats the green component.

Looking for, ideally, a good working motor at the right price (sorry if this is not strictly in the wanted section), or advice on where to obtain the correct brushes, or whether a larger brush could be easily modified to work.

Willing to pick up in midlands.

Any advice appreciated from anyone who's carried out the spoiler refurb or can advise on the diy brush situation etc.

Many thanks.

spoilerbush.jpg

Edited by Storm Guy
spelling

Hey,

I've rebuilt the spoiler motors on both of my Corrado's as it seems to be a fairly common problem to have them doing the 'stepped raising and lowering'. As you say, it is as a result of the thermoswitches cutting the motor out as the temperature rises either due to crap in the motor or a slowness of the mech itself.

Neither of my motors looked like yours inside though, they were quite a bit cleaner to be honest. If you're interested I have the complete spoiler mech from the VR6 that I broke, tested and working. I'm just outside Ripley on the A610 and you can have it for £25 collected if you want it.

Let me know if that's any use.

Hi Tom, many thanks. Just got in from finishing up the spoiler assembly and drive testing.

I managed to pick up a motor from the breakers here in Nottm (in fact choice of two complete workings). All working as smooth as butter. Good in a sense to know its a fairly common issue.

Thanks again for the offer much appreciated. I will now source a couple of carbon brushes and keep my other motor as a back up.

spoilermotor.jpg

Edited by Storm Guy