Sign in to follow this  
MickeyT

8.5x17 split rims- fitment probs?

Seen a phat set of the above :wink: and was wondering on arch and suspension clearance issues. The wheels have a et30 offset. I'm hoping I can leave the arches as stock as possible.

I have 17's at the mo and think they are a 7.5 width after measuring them last night. I'm on standard suspension (to be upgraded). I'm a bit worried about the wheels hitting the suspension legs - will the width of the wheels limit me to coilovers rather than shocks and springs due to the width of the spring platform?.

Also what width tyres do ya reckon?

Looked at the stance of A20 LEE and thought it looked the biz on a similar setup :lol:

Any advise appreciated!

yOU SHOLD BE ABLE TO SQUEEZE THOSE ON WITH 215/40'S OR 205/40'S

I hope so, I'm fitting 9x17's on the back of mine!

I'm fitting 9x17's on the back of mine!

Only with Landrover suspension or wheelarch mods.. :shock:

My 7.5x17's with 205/40WR17 tyres catch on both the inner & outer rear wheelarches - maybe my car's just too low.. :?

Syncro rear axle......more camber the lower you go :wink:

thats why you need bigger wheels! to take your eye away from the camber.

Anyway I like the look of the camber with my 18's on, it looks phat! It also means that the wheels will just go under the arches, with a bit of arch work... 8)

The ET rating is the indication of how close to the shockers & inner wings the wheels will fit. It is a measurement of where the inner wheel edge sits in relation to the wheel hub. The extra wheel width will be added to the distance that the rims will stick out. E.g. 8.5j rims will stick out 1 inch further than 7.5j ones will.

205/40R17 tyres will not catch the suspension, 215/40R17's will be close & might or might not catch.

I would suggest using coilovers so that you can adjust the height of the suspension to your liking.

The ET rating is the indication of how close to the shockers & inner wings the wheels will fit. It is a measurement of where the inner wheel edge sits in relation to the wheel hub. The extra wheel width will be added to the distance that the rims will stick out. E.g. 8.5j rims will stick out 1 inch further than 7.5j ones will.

They will only stick out 1/2 inch more if they have the same ET. ET is the distance from the center of the wheel to the mounting surface on the wheel.

They will only stick out 1/2 inch more if they have the same ET. ET is the distance from the center of the wheel to the mounting surface on the wheel.

If that's the case, I stand corrected.. :oops:

8.5j ET30 wheels will be very close to the suspension legs

Well Sukh managed to squeeze 9" on the front with 10" on the back of his Porsche rimmed show car, but he had to flair the arches out fully to avoid rubbing the insides (as well as getting the look he wanted)

I run 8's front and back no problem. Going wider at the back is not really an issue, it's avoiding rubbing at the front you gotta watch out for. I've known cars on 7½x17 with worse rubbing than I get with my 8x17.

John

Sukhs car has 16" wheels not 17's John. He runs an ET 0 as well!

J

sorry jay sukhs are 17" mate johns correct

oooops ok sorry.... :lol: i could of sworn they were bigger though.. :roll:

Unless Sukhs changed rims recently, the S1-Editions his car had on were definitely 16s as they are only available in 15" and 16" widths.

HTH

:mrgreen:

I am running 10x16 all around with ET02 at the front ET-6 at the back..

:D

:shock: BLOODY HELL!!

mental! :-P

I would not recommend this wheel size to anyone unless you guys don't mind getting pulled by Traffic police..

my rear wheels sticks out about 3inch from the arch work ..

If an offset of ET 30 will be close to the suspension legs will an ET15 be more suitable. The car will be on FK adjustables :?:

Im running 9x16"s with et15mm at the moment.. they dont touch the suspension at al near the arches though... :lol:

Shit... I didn't realise how easy it was to start a ruck on here!

[grabs coat and runs for door]

John