jimmymcq

koni TA's Help

Help people

I have bought a set of konis with eibach springs dropping the car by 30mm ish. rears have gone on no dramas at all. The fronts tho are a nightmare. the spring plate off the old shocker is to small for the eibachs and the one that came with it doesnt fit with the top rubber so when i drop the car the shocker just pushes through the top mount to the point i cant fully shut the bonnet. I'm sure what i'm writing wont make to much sense but if you can offer some help i'd be grateful. i imagine i'm doing something stupid. As best i see it though at the top you slide on the spring put on the top plate and bearing and tighten down till the nut tightens up. put the ruber bush over the top of this. locate the shocker and mount the bottom two bolts then put the plate over the top mount and tighten up the nyloc nut at the top. Should be no more to it?????? Do i need any different parts to install these? i got the shocks and the top spring plates and that is it.

thanks for any help

james

Edited by jimmymcq

sure am. Getting them on isn't the issue. it's stopping them pushing the mount out the top when i drop the car onto the floor

What do you mean by 'rubber bush'? Sorry if I mis-read, but it looks like you're referring to the strut turret on the car as the top mount, and the actual top mount as the rubber bush? Absolutely no way anything other than the thread of the shock can push through the (rubber) top mount unless the top mount is completely shot

Is the top mount on upside down? It should fit neatly and firmly over the bearing, and then snugly into the bottom of the turret when the car is lowered back onto the ground (narrow part at the bottom, wide part at the top)

the rubber bush i'm refering to is the the heavy duty rubber that goes on top of the spring top plate and sits on the inside of the wheel arch side. I'm prob not being clear but the rubber that sits on top of the shocker and spring set up and goes on the under side of the car starts to push through the hole in the car and lifts the top mounting plate away from the body of the car. I'l try take a picof it to show you.

Yep, the rubber bush is the top mount - I think it is either the wrong one or it's upside down

This may help (shamelessly plucked of Club GTI...)

Cheers much. If i understand that right then the top mount is prob gone as the pic shows the nut (6) sitting on top of the mount but mine more or less passes through it. i'll try tomo just in case i've fitted the nut to the wrong side of the mount.

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

just a thought but the top mount is the original from the old set up and doesnt sit that well on the spring plate. is there a koni specific top mount

Right then back to it tomorrow then. I'll check i was putting the nut the right side of the top mount and see if that helps. i was going to adapt the spring plate as the top mount doesnt sit on it very well but i'll hold off on that front. nowts ever easy is it. your help is appreciated

New top mount and all is good. Thanks for the help guys. The other side to do and i'm done till the next job.

really appreciated

james

Does anyone have camber settings etc for this set up also anyone know someone in the york area that can set this up. At the moment the wheels are so bad it looks like my engine must way a good 2 tonne.

cheers

james