Sign in to follow this  
91G60Rado

Idle and Acceleration Issues

I recently purchased my Corrado G60 and it runs terrible. Whenever I sit at idle for more than 10 seconds at a stoplight when I go to give it gas the rpm's just drop and i have to feather the accelerator for a few seconds to get it to jump back to normal. This also happens on the highway whenever i stay at a consistant speed, if i give it WOT the car just lurches and about 3-5 seconds later takes off. I have a air fuel ratio gauge that always sits on rich no matter how i drive, but i'm not sure if its even hooked up correctly. Also my exhaust backfires when I shift occasionally and i've been told that at above a 100 i'm shooting flames. Please help me. :(

Had the same problem with mine a couple of weeks ago and it was the air mass meter that needed replacing......or so the garage said, i just cleaned the connections and it works fine now.

Mine is a VR6 though, don't know if that makes a difference.

I recently purchased my Corrado G60 and it runs terrible. Whenever I sit at idle for more than 10 seconds at a stoplight when I go to give it gas the rpm's just drop and i have to feather the accelerator for a few seconds to get it to jump back to normal. This also happens on the highway whenever i stay at a consistant speed, if i give it WOT the car just lurches and about 3-5 seconds later takes off. I have a air fuel ratio gauge that always sits on rich no matter how i drive, but i'm not sure if its even hooked up correctly. Also my exhaust backfires when I shift occasionally and i've been told that at above a 100 i'm shooting flames. Please help me. :(

IMHO, This could be one of 2 common G60 problems...

Either your Lambda is dead (hence always rich) or you have a vacuum leak somewhere.

I'm not sure how you check a lambda sensor, but your A/F gauge should move about at least a little bit when you first start the car or are at idle... If it never moves, then I'd suggest changing your Lambda probe... :?

Check the vacuum hose on the back of the throttle body that runs to the ECU. This needs to be EXACTLY 1meter (39 inches) long else the car will run like a dog as you describe above. Also check that there's no leaks or splits in any of the other vacuum hoses as this would also cause similar problems...

Hope this helps... 8)

Oh, and Welcome to the Forum 8)

I appreciate the quick replies. I'll check on it. How much does a lambda sensor run? And can I order it at any auto part store?

try removing the connector to the air mass meter, this usually indicates whether its faulty, if not its vacuum leak checking time :cry:

The G60 does not have a air mass meter, it measures the intake air temperature (sits inside the little black connector on your air intake hose - the same as your CO-pot, and boost pressure (through that thin 1-meter long hose already mentioned by Henny.

Try disconnecting the Lambdasensor (pull off the connector located on your right hand side motor mount (left hand side when standing in front of your engine bay), that made a hell of a difference with my G60 recently, as I discovered the sensor had died.

You can also stick a multimeter onto your Lambdasensor, with a warmed up engine it should fluctuate between 0.1 V and 0.9 V, if it's stuck at a single value, or dithers round that value, the sensor is knackered.

HTH,

Tempest

When you said try disconnecting my lambda sensor, does that mean i can still drive the car with it disconnected? And how much does a new one run?

if your lambda sensor is already dead, then you'll notice no difference when you disconnect the wiring to it... If the car then runs even worse than before, then you know that the lambda's probably OK... 8)

Dunno how much new Lambdas are in Dollars, but over here they're between £50 and £125....

I unplugged it and it runs at least 15% better now. I have a lot more low end power than i did. My idle is more stable and my car doesn't shake like it did at idle. All around it's a lot better. Can I keep driving without the lambda or is that bad for the car? I plan on purchasing a new one but i don't know when i will be able to.

You should check your fuel injectors also. Buy some STP injectors cleaning fluid and add it to the tank (read STP use instructions first)! I did it on my G60 because of his unstable idle and power loss. I can tell you that it made a huge difference! Very satisfied :) It is not expensive! Remember to use only STP products (high quality). Hope this works! :D If so... then change your fuel filter to prevent problems like this.

When you said try disconnecting my lambda sensor, does that mean i can still drive the car with it disconnected?

As you've already found out, the answer is yes. The ECU assumes a value of λ=1 when it's not getting a signal from the sensor.

I know someone in Germany who's been running his G60 Passat for nearly 2 years with the sensor disconnected without any problems, before he then replaced the sensor to get him through German emission tests :) This is assuming that all the other sensors and engine parts are OK.

Tempest