stig1983

Corrado VR6 over heating problem and fuel smell.

Hi guys new to the forum and was hoping somebody could help.

recently purchased a VR6 corrado and I am having problems with it overheating.

Problem is as follows:

When car is sat still the water temp and oil temp go really high, when the car is moving the water temp drops below the normal 90 and can go as low as 75, the oil temp tends to follow whatever the water temp is doing.

The fans do kick in and are working fine.

I have had a new thermostat and housing to see if it would solve it but that hasn't worked.

Next problem has only started happening in last couple of weeks, when I really put my foot down you get a really strong smell of petrol in the car, I have had my local garage check all the emissions and the car is running sweet. Can anybody give any suggestions.

Thanking anybody that can help in advance

Adam

Temp sensors could be faulty so you could try changing them?

Get gen VW ones though (TPS should be cheaper than VW direct if you can get trade discount)

good luck!

p.s here is a link to the part numbers if you do want to change the sensors

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?32049-How-To-VR6-Thermostat-Housing-Replacment&p=448752&viewfull=1#post448752

I would also change the oil temp sensor that sits on the oil filter housing...

Edited by monzablau16v

What is "really high" when stationary? Don't think you have a thermostat problem other wise the water wouldn't come down with the oil temp following.

Petrol.... usually if you can smell inside, its drawing it in from the engine bay.

Check the pipe connection below the brake fluid reservioir pipes from the tank area coming up their are white, blue & black. Check the blue & black while the engine is running. The joins are body channel. Just smell with the use of a tube.

Then follow the rubber pipes off the blue & black connections to the front right of the engine and again check for leaks while the engine is running. (watch loose clothing around the moving belt!!)

The go to the front left corner of the engine. Next to the intake manifold, you will see a small round cylindrical unit at the end of the fuel rail. Check the little black hose is connected and no leaking.

Thanks guys, really high is its going past the 100 mark and is making its way to 110. To stop this from happening I have been turning the heaters on fullblast.

Im not that mechanically minded, is there anywhere near the Manchester area that you would recomend to take a look.

110'C is not exceptional. Mine does it to that level and all is well and has been checked recently.

If your first stage fan setting is not working (I doubt as it sounds like you are getting what is normal for a VR6).

The test:

Test the rad fan supply at the connection on the back of the fan when the temperature is getting high.

Stage 1 fan voltage supply is the Red/White stripe wire.

Stage 2 is the Red/Black stripe wire.

Put a voltmeter across the stage 1 wire to earth. See when it switches on. Does the rad fan also come on. (Tip: Use a paper clip into the back of the connector on the engine side to get at the wire's metal connection inside the connector).

If not, suspect the radiator thermoswitch midway down the end of the radiator by the battery.

I suspect you will find nothing is wrong.

And the car is running normally.

yup, my oil temps top out at 106 after a really long drive with some "enthusiastic" drivng and then "normal" in-town driving. I thought the temp dropping to below 75 was a little more strange - usually once the engine is warm it rarely goes below 95 on my VR... Hence why i thought it may be dodgy sensors. But as mentioned above by RW1 - test your fan voltage and see what's happening there.

Fuel smell defo sounds odd - get that checkout out ASAP as fuel fumes are nicht so gut for the brain.

75'C..... I've had drops to 80'C occassionally in light driving. So not unusual if conditions are right.