monzablau16v

Switch decals / stickers

Right ... this is a total long-shot, but here goes. Does anyone know if it is possible to buy/acquire the little decals on the interior switches?

latebeigeinteriorlightw.jpg

I am in the process of retrimming my interior in black alcantara and one thing which is really bugging me is that the interior light and sunroof switch + surround is beige. The later Corrados didnt get a black option so i was thinking of spraying the items with black plastic spray. However, i dont want to do this unless i can retain the decals. I know "white" decals exist as they were used in the earlier cars...

earlyblackinteriorlight.jpg

They may not even been "decals" or stuck on as they almost look like they are etched or sprayed onto the plastic.

see - told you it was a long shot :)

thanks!

Just an idea

but you coud make your own little stickers using a scalpel and sticky paper spray over the top, then peel the stickers back off. if done carefully you could be left with little white stencils .... I could image they'd look ok.

cheers guys

Crispy - that was exactly what i thought about first, but there was no way id be able to make them so accurate as the items are fairly small and the narrow curves make it difficult to trace with paper (i think if i had those types of skills id give up my day job and become a heart surgeon! lol) I even thought about just making a square paper stensil to mask off the decal. This would leave the grey bit just behind the actual decal, so you would only see grey where the actual logo was and everything else would be black. Thing is it would pi%% me off seeing that little bit of grey every time i pressed the buttons or looked up lol

Alex - those links look very interesting. Going to look into them a bit more. Was thinking I just need a way of getting the actual images onto computer. Thinking I may have to bodge it :

1) Take a high res photo of the items close up / macro

2) Save to PC

3) use photo editing package to trace each individual decal

4) Print onto that funky paper (although havn't figured out how to print "white".. guess id just have to use grey???)

5) apply

Unless someone has a novel way to breaking into VW's archives to download a nice 1:1 scale EPS of the original decals?

ahh the joys of being OCD :)

Edited by monzablau16v

Isn't the light pack the same as a Passat? Seem to remember they offered a black one on that model?

I been searching for ages and the only ones i can see for Passat, Octavia or any other VAG model is either the same as mine (first pic in beige) or the black one, but without sunroof option (pic two). I'd love to be proved wrong though!

I been searching for ages and the only ones i can see for Passat, Octavia or any other VAG model is either the same as mine (first pic in beige) or the black one, but without sunroof option (pic two). I'd love to be proved wrong though!

No black option was available with Sunroof switch..........

I was really hoping this thread would end with a link of where to buy black sound with white decals :(

How did the tracing process go? (if completed yet)

And what spray did you end up using?

90% there with the tracing.... Give me another week and I should have this sussed out. It may not be entirely as I wanted, but I'm going to have to make a few compromises so it may be a White print on a black background which is then just applied to the black plastic. Will keep you informed...

Also, how many people are interested in these if I get them printed? Just some idea of numbers so if I do get them printed I know. I'll get some photos up of progress soon.....

Ta

Im in the process of changing my headlining to black so i would be interested as this is the best ive seen yet for this problem

I'd be interested, I sprayed mine black a couple of years ago, and left little areas around the decals, which doesn't look 100%

you can make a canvas with the stencil of the image on, ill explain quickly but....

here goes.

First you start with elumsion, you cover a screen (very fine mesh) with the emulsion with a scraper of some kind to a smooth flat even finish

Then dry this for around 15 mins(Dark room - DO NOT LET IT TOUCH LIGHT AS IT REACTS AND DRYS)

Then get the images you want printed onto projector paper (Thin clear sheets) Tracing paper does work but its a fuzzier finnish.

then put the image over the top of the 15 mins dried emulsion and put a large light over the image....

About another 10-15 mins, take the image off the screen and immediatly wash the screen under water, if all worked well which it should have as long as you dont leave it too long under the light, you will have the image left on the screen.

With the image on the screen get paint (Obviously printing paint) and lay the screen over what you want so the image is aligned to where you want it, then add paint over the top of the screen not too much just a nice layer over the top, not pushed through the canvas but just a nice layer over the place where the image will be, then when all is coverd and even scrape over it, pushing the paint into the canvas leaving a nice smooth thin layer the size of the image, press it down hard.

Then remove and itl be done.

Thats how to screen print in simple.

But if you follow that, it will work.

Some paints and emulsions will be different so follow instructions on bottle etc.

Theres also probably an easier way of doing this, eg buying them...

Edited by Fulltimejunglist

You could try this...

1) Cover the symbol with semi transparent scotch tape (the type that's like sellotape but not as sticky and only slightly semi transparent).

2) You can then use one of two methods. But you want to end up cutting out the symbols. Throw the symbols away so you end up with a negative cut-out:

a) With the tape still in place, cut out the symbols.

or

b) Trace over it in place, then take the tape off and cut out the symbols.

3) With the negative cut-out tape in place, paint the symbols white. Let if fully dry. Don't yet remove the tape.

4) Using a fine brush, just lightly brush on some normal silicone from a DIY shop (e.g. sealant silicone). Remove the tape before it fully dries. Then let the silicone fully dry. The silicone now forms a barrier over the freshly painted symbols.

5) With the tape removed, spray over the trim. The silicone will prevent the spray covering the symbol. Let the paint fully dry.

6) Gently rub away the silicone to reveal the previously painted symbol.

This will probably take a bit of practice and a lot of care to get right so I'd suggest practicing it several times on some spare trim.

Just finished the tracing tonight (took me over 8 hours on and off in total...) I got all the icons done and have been exploring printing / laser cut options in adhesive vinyl.... Once i hear back from the people i made enquiries with i will report back.

I did have some people reply back and they couldnt print them as the items are so small (0.5mm sidewall at 1:1 scale)...

Thanks for the tips on the screen printing and other suggestions - i just dont think it will be precise enough as the items are so small and intricate. There is absolutely no way I could cut around the icons with a scalpel accurately enough.

cheers...