harin

Classic Car Club

Hi guys,

Am bored at work so thought I'd tell you about the classic car club I've been a part of for the last 6 months (http://www.classiccarclub.co.uk). You basically pay a yearly fee and you get access to lots of great classics.

My membership was actually a bit of an impulse buy (because I couldn't get insured on the car I wanted) but its been one of the coolest things I've ever done! Among others I have driven:

- E-type

- TVR Chimera

- Mercedes 220 SEB

- Porsche 944

- XJS

Others on mylist to drive

- Aston V8

- Mustang

- Ferrari 308 GT

As well as driving the cars there is a really good community spirit and they have events every couple of weeks where you can get together with other petrolheads and talk about cars. The mix of people is great with the young (but no boy racers :) ) and the old and its great to compare notes on cars you've taken out. Having one of these cars out on the road is amazing and the attention you get on the special ones (E.g. E-type) is crazy.

Membership is basically a points system that means you get a set amount of points for the year and then the season/car/weekend/weekday determines how many points each rental is worth. I must admit it is expensive but with insurance the way its going its actually not a bad option if you want to drive some classic motors.

My VR6 is now part of their fleet for the next year as I didn't want to sell it and they'll maintain it for the time they have it. It's nice to know I'll get my baby back in a year when I've had my fix of classics!

Is anyone else on here a member of any similar clubs?

Anyway best get back to work....

~

Harin

How did you find the 944? Which one did you drive? 2.5, 2.7, 3.0 or turbo?

Quite fancy one (or 968) for when I move to RWD.

It was actually a lot nicer than I expected! It was the 3.0 that I had and i found it similar to the rado in terms of steering feel. Handling was good and it would be a good daily car as its not too juicy either! All in all I liked it :)

my bro used to work there back in the day. He "borrowed" their Ferrari a few times ... lovely motor with a nice sound. Always reminded me of Magnum PI :)