monzablau16v

Views on Golf MK5 1.4 TSI ?

Hi all,

looking to replace my old man's car and been looking at the Golf MK5 1.4 TSI (uses the twin charger tech - turbo and supercharger).

He currently runs a MK3 2.0 GTi 8v colour concept (115bhp). Its approaching 150,000 miles and although there is nothing really "wrong" with it, we re just looking to getting something a little newer. Parents are not heavy users and mostly do short journeys (5 miles a day MAX) .. and the odd 200 mile journey every 6 months. Therefore annual milage is something silly like 2000 miles.

Will be looking to spend about £7000 MAX and from looking on trader this will get a 2008 plate 120ps / 140ps model with somewhere around 60K on the clock (so that is twice the normal UK average annual mileage).

So, anyone here have a MK5 Golf, and specifically the 1.4 TSI?

I did a quick look online main issues seem to be :

some cabin creaking

loose charger timing chains (

)

something odd about a squeeking supercharger clutch plate? (http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/301300.aspx?PageIndex=2)

The latter two being the most concerning! I should have access to VAGCOM so would check out a car thoroughly prior to buying, but i want to know if there are any longevity issues with this TSI engine?

I always get their current car serviced annually simply due to the number of short journeys they do. I just need to make sure their new car is reliable and doesn't have a tendency to implode due to their regular short journeys!

Would like any feedback from people that have driven or owned the car and appreciate any info.

thanks!

p.s here are a couple of examples on autotrader:

(140ps) :

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201123390622570/sort/priceasc/usedcars/fuel-type/petrol/engine-size-cars/1-4l_to_1-6l/maximum-mileage/up_to_100000_miles/price-from/5000/price-to/7000/transmission/manual/maximum-age/up_to_4_years_old/quantity-of-doors/5/model/golf/make/volkswagen/page/1/keywords/tsi%20air/saved-search-id/2c92963331fffdf6013201629cbe000a/radius/1500/postcode/sl12xg?logcode=p

(120ps):

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201131407306517/sort/priceasc/usedcars/fuel-type/petrol/engine-size-cars/1-4l_to_1-6l/maximum-mileage/up_to_100000_miles/price-from/5000/price-to/7000/transmission/manual/maximum-age/up_to_4_years_old/quantity-of-doors/5/model/golf/make/volkswagen/page/1/keywords/tsi%20air/saved-search-id/2c92963331fffdf6013201629cbe000a/radius/1500/postcode/sl12xg?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201132409260522/sort/priceasc/usedcars/fuel-type/petrol/engine-size-cars/1-4l_to_1-6l/maximum-mileage/up_to_100000_miles/price-from/5000/price-to/7000/transmission/manual/maximum-age/up_to_4_years_old/quantity-of-doors/5/model/golf/make/volkswagen/page/1/keywords/tsi%20air/saved-search-id/2c92963331fffdf6013201629cbe000a/radius/1500/postcode/sl12xg?logcode=p

loose charger timing chains (
)

something odd about a squeeking supercharger clutch plate? (http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/301300.aspx?PageIndex=2)

The latter two being the most concerning! I should have access to VAGCOM so would check out a car thoroughly prior to buying, but i want to know if there are any longevity issues with this TSI engine?

Chains do stretch on the engine. There's a bulletin on it and missing bolts inside the chain area and mileage is over 12,500 miles. New chains and tensioner plus other bits and bobs.

Supercharger clutch will not be a mechanical failure. Its just an annoying "feature" which eventually goes away in most cases. Fan belt spray can help silence the clutch squeak. I call it my "pet rodent" on mine. All gone by 7,000 miles except when I ask the supercharger to engage the magnetic clutch about engine 2,500 rpm and above to 3,000 rpm. The supercharger runs at 5 times faster and upto 17,500 rpm. Occassionally it chirps.

I would be more concerned with what the cylinder bores and piston crowns are like on a Mk5. Any sign of damage/scoring coupled with or engine has high oil consumption.... walk away rapido. A good engine doesn't drink.

Plus is the ECU software upto date. The ECU software standard can be determined using VCDS. If its been re-mapped with say Revo etc, the engine is a safer bet as the early 1.4TSi supercharger engines had their knock sensor wrongly coded in the ECU which lead to engine failures due to mis-firing, particularly if using 95RON petrol. It doesn't like high % ethanol petrol like Tesco's 99RON. Best is Shell V power or BP Ultimate with this engine.

And if you do get one.... close the spark plug gaps down to 0.79mm. They are set tooooo wide for a supercharger engine, either the factory fittted plugs or the spares. The supercharger blows the spark out at the gaps of 0.9mm and causes murmuring misfires which what the plugs fitted at the factory/spares are set too. VW state 0.8mm to 0.9mm range. I've found even 0.81mm causes slight misfire.

VCDS may give you clues as it will show as coil pack failure. But the bore/piston crowns is the only check that give peace of mind.

Based on what they want it for I'd go for a mk5 1.6 FSI sport, slower, but simpler and a 6 speed box, parents have one and it's been very good, bar a glitch with the EBD switching off, very economincal too, not sure when it was discontinued though??? I wouldn't bet on the TFSI being as trouble free as an old mk3 when it gets to a similar age.

guys thanks for the detailed responses. Think the chain stretch issues and the obvious fact that twin chargers have twice the number of things to go wrong, puts me off!

Definitely considering the 1.6 FSI (113bhp) as well... but i am wondering if it will really be too much of a drop in performance from the MK3 as the MK5 is 300KG heavier and that is really going to show (not that my old man is any kind of speed demon, but he does want the power when it is needed)

God, im wondering if i should just let them run the MK3 into the ground till it blows up lol