Pat_McCrotch

New daily driver needed. Ideas?

After living with the Accord Type R for 6 months as a daily driver it's getting a little unbearable now :( As great as the handling and engine are it can't make up for the boomy engine noise and average 30mpg fuel consumption. You can get it to 35 if you're lucky, but it's too hard not to drive. Whilst fuel consumption isn't the main issue it would be nice to get 32mpg+ without trying

So, it will be up on eBay in the next week or so and another Shed will be taking it's place. Budget is £1100 (so anything advertised at £1400 on the assumption they'll haggle) and criteria this time is something a bit more unique and a defining feature :)

Ideas so far;

2001-2003 Alfa Romeo 156 T Spark - Still one of the most beautiful cars made. Not as unreliable as you'd believe.

2001-2003 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 V6 - Absurdly cheap and lots of option. Looks a little funny but i'll probably rule it out on the fuel bills!

2002-2003 2.5 V6 Jaguar S-Type - Rear Wheel Drive super comfy. Looks really dated though!

2002 Lexus IS200 - RWD and great fun but auto only :(

2002-2004 MG ZT 160 (the V6 one, not the 4 cylinder!!)) - BMW built, handle well, cheap as it's an MG and have aged allot better than the Jaguar S-Type.

I love new car hunting! :D

After living with the Accord Type R for 6 months as a daily driver it's getting a little unbearable now :( As great as the handling and engine are it can't make up for the boomy engine noise and average 30mpg fuel consumption. You can get it to 35 if you're lucky, but it's too hard not to drive. Whilst fuel consumption isn't the main issue it would be nice to get 32mpg+ without trying

So, it will be up on eBay in the next week or so and another Shed will be taking it's place. Budget is £1100 (so anything advertised at £1400 on the assumption they'll haggle) and criteria this time is something a bit more unique and a defining feature :)

Ideas so far;

2001-2003 Alfa Romeo 156 T Spark - Still one of the most beautiful cars made. Not as unreliable as you'd believe. - DON'T DO IT! HAD 3 ALFA'S (166, 145 AND A GTV - SERIOUS WALLET DRAINERS! MY 166 ACTUALLY BLEW UP!)

2001-2003 Alfa Romeo 166 3.0 V6 - Absurdly cheap and lots of option. Looks a little funny but i'll probably rule it out on the fuel bills! (AS ABOVE! :p)

2002-2003 2.5 V6 Jaguar S-Type - Rear Wheel Drive super comfy. Looks really dated though! (TOO SMALL AN ENGINE FOR A JAG, YOU NEED AT LEAST 3 LITRES ((IMO) AND YOU WILL STRUGGLE TO FIND A MANUAL ONE BUT ALSO JAG ALWAYS WILDLY OVER ESTIMATE OFFICIAL FUEL FIGURES, I RUN A JAG XJR ASWELL, THE BOOK CLAIMS IT CAN DO 34.9 MPG ON A RUN! :bonk: NO CHANCE MORE LIKE 25! WITH THE WIND BEHIND YOU AND DOWN HILL MIND!)

2002 Lexus IS200 - RWD and great fun but auto only :( (ITS JAPANESE??? :camp:)

2002-2004 MG ZT 160 (the V6 one, not the 4 cylinder!!)) - BMW built, handle well, cheap as it's an MG and have aged allot better than the Jaguar S-Type. (REALLY UNDERATTED CARS THESE I SAY, V6'S COST NOTHING THESE DAYS TO PICK UP OR YOU COULD SPEND A BIT EXTRA AND TRY AND FIND YOURSELF A RWD V8 MODEL! :thumbleft:)

I love new car hunting! :D

OR YOU COULD THINK ABOUT SOMETHING WITH LPG? BIG PETROL ENGINE WITH DIESEL RUNNING COSTS! :dance: