Fin2982

Temperature warning light

Drove up from Middlesbrough to fife, just as I was arriving the temperature warning light started flashing. Thinking the car was just a bit hot I checked coolant level, all the connections etc and parked it up, went to drive it today and from the of it started flashing.counted the flashes it was about 10 or 11 and then it stops for a bit. Anyone got any ideas

Oil temp reads just over 100 to 116. Looks like the temp gauge has since stopped working.

Plenty of coolant and no air in the system

Then that would be the coolant level light. If you have enough coolant in the bottle then clean the contacts of the plug on the coolant bottle, you might want to try and clean the bottle inside aswell. Hope that helps

WeLl I've got a 200mile drive in the morning so I will give the connetions a clean up, and keep a check on the levels on my way down, then clean the bottle up tomorrow, cheers

Hope this helps - I had a similar problem on my VR6 - coolant light flashing when oil temp was normal and no other signs of overheating. After replacing the sensor and testing out the wiring it turned out to be the temp gauge itself was faulty. The little metal strip that moves the needle looked burnt and was operating ok at lower temps but shooting up to beyond max at normal temp and triggering the light as well. Replacement temp gauge from passat cluster solved it for me.

ahh, temp gauge has failed but I havent looked into it. cleaned out the connectors on the bottle etc with wd40 before I left and again just after I crossed the border(found a dodo juice swab so used that, only flashed once or twice since but seems like that was the problem all along

Hope this helps - I had a similar problem on my VR6 - coolant light flashing when oil temp was normal and no other signs of overheating. After replacing the sensor and testing out the wiring it turned out to be the temp gauge itself was faulty. The little metal strip that moves the needle looked burnt and was operating ok at lower temps but shooting up to beyond max at normal temp and triggering the light as well. Replacement temp gauge from passat cluster solved it for me.

Yeah that's exactly the same way I resolved the issue with mine.

I'm going to look at it tomorrow, that car causes me so much frustration with the repairs..... But the Coldstream route to Scotland put one hell of a smile on my face, even watching the oil temp like a nutter as I hit Edinburgh at rush hour I couldn't help but smile...... **** I love my corrado

Check your contacts on the connector to the bottle as well. Mine occasionally plays up every 6 months or so but a little bit of jiggling and electrical contact cleaner sorts it. Need to get around to replacing the pin.