Portent

A quieter exhaust

My car currently has a Milltek exhaust which was recently fitted by the previous owner. It looks great and does sound fantastic when at speed. I love it at high revs. But being 42 I'm wondering what I can do to quieten it down just a little when driving casually.

I'm in no urgent hurry but want to start looking at options for the future, budgeting for it if necessary, etc.

The exhaust is currently de-cat but I do also have a cat for it which I will get fitted before the next MOT. Am I right in assuming a cat will have little effect on the sound?

What other options would I have? If I did want to quieten it down a touch then am I looking at a new exhaust or can it be modified in some way? How much would a new system be?

Any advice appreciated. I've only ever had standard cars before so exhausts leave me a little :scratch:

Your current system is pretty quiet compared to most others but we have Magnex on both our VR's and they sound a bit more reserved compared to the Milltek systems, trouble is they went out of production a while ago so unless anyone has bought the company and started re-making the system then you may have to go 2nd hand.

That said the quality of steel used is far better than what milltek or most others use so will buf up lovely even if it's 10 years old like mine :)

In my experience a de cat makes the exhaust massively louder!

I have gone from a Magnex to a Miltek and find the Miltek alot louder. When driving normally i forgot the Magnex was there sometimes, give it some stick and it comes to life. My favorite exhaust defo.

Thanks so far. I'll get the cat on there sooner than planned and see if that makes a difference.