vw_john

Oh how I love my Rado...

so im driving down a dual carageway and put my foot down to overtake someone and my car lurches out to the right for me, very kind, however scary as well, could this have anything to do with my top mounts? they seem a little worse for ware. and this happens everytime i accelerate hard when im doing about 60-70 and i have noticed some lurching in braking, more often than not to the right, but sometimes left.

cheers

wow... That sounds serious! could be top mounts, loose suspension, ball joint about to pop out... Loads of things!

For instance... My C did this just before the wishbones fell of the subframe and threw me into a ditch! Get her up on a ramp and check all the suspension.

i always read thread titles like that as being saracastic :lol: you have to dont you....

Def get it up in the air asap. Though i would expect vibrations through the steering wheel and all sorts of knocking noises. If you know top mounts are shot, get them changed though.

Yeah, I read all of the titles like that sarcastically, probably cause I have yet to see one that isn't! haha.

Ok, you have scared me now, im using this as a daily, is it safe to say i should stop doing that? hah. I don't want to end up in a ditch

Since buying the car I have had knocking noises going over bumps but it never tweaked the wheel on acceleration. how do i check the wishbones?

cheers for the quick responses guys

get the car up in the air at the front, jack it up and then get it on some axle stands or something. Then get the front wheels off and take a look... you'll see any big things on a visual inspection. Check every nut and bolt... all I can surmise from your description is their is something up at the front of the car with the suspension... so look at the struts, top mounts, wishbones, subframe, hubs and tracking arms. Just tap them with a hammer and move them about. The hub should move freely left and right with the steering wheel and the hubs should spin as long as its out of gear. check the spings aren't wobbling about and all the nuts and bolts are attached.

But no.. unless you have checked over the suspension I wouldn't drive the car.

maybe worth getting someone to move steering left and right whilst you lay underneath. teh knocking could be the wishbone bushes. Wasnt torque steer you had was it?

i'll do it tomorrow. the missus is a tiny bit fed up of watching me fix pieces of my car, haha. and I know the g60 is fast but I don't think accelerating from 70 in fifth will give that much torque steer lol. and doesn't explain the lurchy braking. when looking at the top mounts they sit very high and there is like a bit of rusty looking tube coming out from underneath.

if your top mounts are sitting proud (any more than about 10mm) i would take the top bolt and top hat off... then you should see a grooved nut that holds all the rest of the suspension to the strut.... i would see if you can wind this down any further... when i did mine it got rid of all the knocking and twitching.

think there is a photo of one of my topmounts in my thread in the members rides section.

you may end up having to replace both top mounts if they have been loose for a while as they will be badly worn on one side and possibly broken as mine was