Sign in to follow this  
bigbroony

Car dead. Help please.

My car ( 2.0L 16V )died on me in traffic.It eventually started after much cursing but it died on part-throttle.If I got it revving and kept the revs up it was ok but as soon as they dropped it would die again.I pulled the plugs and they were as sooty as a sooty thing.The next morning it wouldn't even attempt to start.Inspection showed there to be a spark at the plugs and the plugs were wet with petrol but no firing.Igot a mobile tuner guy round and as soon as he lifted the bonnet he said he couldn't help as the injection was mechanical and not electronic( I'd told him I suspected the airflow meter. )He consulted his reference books and found that there was indeed a plug-in point.When he did so the screen showed a fault with the airflow meter.He couldn't see how, as he said the meter was mechanical anyway, and left free of charge.Do these symptoms ring any bells with anyone please?

does that mean your airbox has all the fuel lines etc on top of it??

Mine did this one...theres a grey sensor typre thing under the air pipe that is about 3-4" inches wide, it goes into a small pipe there, if it comes undone...it creates an airleak and doesn't allow the engine to start. Thats on a 1.8 16v though...also mechanical fuel injection.

Yes, thats about the third thing I looked at.I'd accidentally disturbed it before when I put a K& N filter in.However I couldn't be so lucky.The thing I'm praying for now is, having payed a squillion pounds for one, and in the process of waiting for it , that the damn thing works when I fit it.