VW_OwneR_85

indicators stop working when i brake!

hi, can anybody shed some light onto my indicator problem please, its on my mk3 golf vr6 run around i brought the car with the problem attached,wasnt realy bothered by it, basicaly its got an intermitant problem works fine then stops! and basicaly i just worked out it stops every time i brake! or whilset the brake pedals down! it wont work! then when you release the pedal the indicator works again, strange? so its obviously got something to do with the brake pedal switch,,,, cheers

p.s with the hazards on it makes no differance.

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

right according to google its a fairly common problem with other makes of cars, and the cause is a dodgey earth! anyone have a rough idea of where to check first? the reason i ask is because im an absolute R-tard when it comes to electrics, its just something iv never realy got into ...

Check the earth claw on the drivers side underneath the dash, make sure all the earths have a good connection, then there is the earth by the heater motor but I don't think its that, worth checking the engine bay earths aswell, so battery clamp to chassis etc... I couldn't tell you for definate what the problem is though, thats the annoying thing about electrics!

Its attached below the A pillar, its like a claw lol, got lots of earths going to it, like a central earth point for the door switchs and interior light but without getting wiring diagrams or my dash back out I cant remember what would cause the problem you mention!

Edit: Have a look on club gti forum for the relevant electrical diagram, will help you loads you don't have to be an expert to make some sense of it!

Edited by RowanVW

I would take out each brake light bulb. And sub a replacement. Its sometimes the way a dual filament bulb fails.