jamiehamy

Winter tyres ordered

Decided on a whim to order some winter tyres for the front. I had Continental Winter Contacts last year and they were simply superb.

Literally charged up anything I flung at them, went round corners like on rails and stopped very well.

I hope it snows this year now!

If you're thinking of it, would recommend getting some now while prices are okay. I got part worn, same as last year.

Awesome idea. I ordered a full set for my winter Mk4 about a month ago, the price has already gone up £10 per tyre since then!

If anyone is interested, I have a set of part-worn's that I had fitted to my Corrado last winter. They're 185/55R15 Vredestein Snowtrac3's. The size is what VW recommend for the Corrado and they'll go straight onto Speedlines/Estorils/G60 steels/any other 15" wheel. Awesome tyres and they got me through conditions like this with no trouble:

IMAG0003.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

They really are amazing and if anyone is interested then feel free to get in touch. They're £80 each on mytyres.com atm, I'm looking for £200 for the set of 4, 2 with 11mm tread, 2 with 9mm tread, so loads of life left. Only selling because they're too small for the mk4.

Winter tyres = a must have! :D

Partly worn winter tyres are much much worst than brand new one. Its a huge difference between partly worn summer and winter tyres. More than 3mm of use in winter tyres maeks them 70% less efficient than brand new ones and trust me I know what I'm telling as winter where I come from looks lie that

winterkolbudy.jpg

Best tyres for the value were Kleber and probably I will buy them this year

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195-50-15-KLEBER-QUADRAXER-1955015-4-WINTER-TYRES-/150629214409?pt=UK_Cars_Tyres_RL&hash=item23123368c9

I really miss my Audi Allroad and thinking about buying another one for winter but no money so far :(

Hmm tempting. I got a spare set of speedlines with the car when I bought it. I could pop some winters on them for the bad weather. Mind you I'm not too sure how I feel about exposing her bodywork to snow and salt.

be careful buying part worn winters, as the sipes are only cut halfway down the thread, so after that they turn back to summer thread

It's not recommend by manufacturers to run winter tyres on only one axle. Otherwise your rear end will be trying to overtake the front downhill etc!

The cynic in me thinks that only to make you buy 4 instead! Never had any issues last year and had the same setup (part worn too). Thing is, the Corrado is pretty good without winter tyres on account of the weight upfront (esp VRs) and the neutral handling. The winters have added benefit of staying softer when cold as well as a more aggressive tread pattern, even if worn.

Once upon a time I drove my old Land Rover with cross ply's on the front and radials on that back - that was fun!