Redfox

removing snorket on G60 airbox?

Hi all,

I read somewhere on the net that a little more air can be had by removing the snorket and throat that sits inside and in the opening of the airbox.

Is this true?

and if so, should the plasticsurround in front also be removed?

Any gains?

I don't mind a little extra roar, but this is not the purpose. More air is needed.

For now I will not drill the airbox. Not untill I have another one second hand. Then possible remove the carbon canister from underneath the airbox, and duct a tube from front up to underside of airbox. Anyway that is later. For now it's just a question of the snorkel and eventually the plastic plate in front.

I don't want hot engine air sucked in.

Cheers,

Redfox.

I read somewhere on the net that a little more air can be had by removing the snorket and throat that sits inside and in the opening of the airbox.

Is this true?

-debateable

and if so, should the plasticsurround in front also be removed?

- No need to remove the plastic surround, unless it will get in the way of any ducting you are planning.

Any gains?

- Doubtful

I don't mind a little extra roar, but this is not the purpose. More air is needed.

For now I will not drill the airbox. Not untill I have another one second hand. Then possible remove the carbon canister from underneath the airbox, and duct a tube from front up to underside of airbox. Anyway that is later. For now it's just a question of the snorkel and eventually the plastic plate in front.

I don't want hot engine air sucked in.

-Don't drill it! No gain whatsoever apart from a nice noise. You are just destroying an expensive part!Your best bet is to add the extra ducting through the carbon canister hole. A few have done this. ProdigalSon has a few details in his gallery thread IIRK. Best airfilter for a G60 is the standard paper one IMHO. Larger surface area, much better filtration than cotton ones. You don't want ANYTHING getting into that charger!

Job's done. Will take a test trip. Man, it makes a lot of noise even when idleing. Not really interested in that. Will report back.

Thinking od changing that K&N panelfilter to a new standard paper one I have lying on the shelf.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Yes it can be done, and one mine it definately did have a good effect. I did back to back dyno runs with a normal airbox and then one with the snorket removed and gains a few extra horses with it removed, along with better low down torque from memory. On the G60 the hole is very restrictive, butting up close against the back of the headlight. Removing the snorkel makes for an easier air flow. Of course, mine needs lightly more than a standad G60 tho, lol. Oh and absolutely stick with a standard filter - fine for atleast 250bhp (not tried it beyond that...).

Thanks for the answers,

I drove it, and in town it's quite irritating, but on faster speeds, highway and freeway, it's not annoying, just a deep "rrroooooo" and not noisy.

I will put in a new paperfilter today.

Couldn't really feel a difference, as there was too much trafic to give it some pedal, so will have to try that later on.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Doesn't removing this part on a G60 lead to the air pulsing through the intake and making a droning noise at a certain speed, very similar to a dead wheel bearing?

I know i'd leave the snorkel in, cos a droning noise would really annoy me.

It is definately noisier than leaving it in there. To be honest if you like quiet cars you don't get a G60 :lol:

Snorkel removal was a really "50/50" modification for me. Sometimes I liked the extra noise, and sometimes that pulsing / throbbing noises from the charger (which got so amplified by the snorkel deletion) just used to get on my nerves and it had to go back in!

I really don't know how people put up with the noisiest exhaust and air filter modification combinations on G60's... it'd drive me insane!

As said stick a cold air feed through the bottom where the carbon canister used to go aswell.

Haha jim do you not get dickheads in civics with exhausts big enough to fit your head in round your way??

Hmm, I uess it would depend of what the noise was like. I don't want noise for the sake of noise, but if there's a very positive outcome in traction, power or?, then it would be okay. I can allways put it back on.

Will have to drive some more to be sure.

Anyway it's not a pulsating noise in a certain area of the register. It's a constant deep "rrrooooooo", which is more noticable in town, that outside. Actually it sounded quite okay when stepping on the pedal in third passing through a tunnel. Made a busuki splat pull over ;)

Cheers,

Redfox.

It will be more of a roar, its basically putting an induction kit on your car.

I liked the way it sounds and am much happier letting the engine breathe more.

Youll find allsorts of crap sucked into the bottom of the airbox though, worth getting a bit of mesh of egay to stop bigger bits getting in.

Haha jim do you not get dickheads in civics with exhausts big enough to fit your head in round your way??

Actually you get surprisingly few around here.. thankfully!

I don't want noise for the sake of noise, but if there's a very positive outcome in traction, power or?, then it would be okay.

to be honest, if the removal of a plastic tube from the intake would increase the traction or power greatly i think everyone would do it.

Hmm, maybe most people have done so in the quest for more power (plus all the usual, like g-lader, pulley, chip, exhaust, banana manifold, ported head, cam, injectors, fuelpump, forged pistons, h-beam carillo's etc).

Ffrom motorcycles I know some about the subject, but cars are usually built in a different way, and since every car is an individual design, it's good to hear other peoples experience on the subject.

Cheers,

Redfox.