vw_john

Heater controls

I have an early C, and the direction slider for where the air is directed doesn't go to either end it will move freely in the middle but never reach far right or far left. which is annoying cause i need to demist the front screen!

cheers

sounds like the bowden cable for the screen demister has kinked thus not moving as freely as it should, not sure that these are available anymore though from the stealers, I had the same problem on my corrado (late controls) which eventually lead the the failure of the controls them-selves due to the cable not moving freely...

Having helped Supercharged dismantle his interior a few weeks back to do a heater matrix, we got a pretty good understanding of what makes the heater controls work (or not work).

I'd be very surprised if there is anything wrong with the slider controls / the front panel itself. It'll most likely be the bowden cables than link the controls to the heater box. Your problem will be getting to them, getting them all out... you REALLY need the heaterbox out to do a proper repair / investigation as the mechanism / cogs are all on the UNDERSIDE of the heaterbox - a spectacular piece of design by VW!

If you really want to get properly to the bottom of heater control issues, it really is a days work pulling apart most of the interior :(

If you really want to get properly to the bottom of heater control issues, it really is a days work pulling apart most of the interior

...more work for the rado then. Think I might try not to breath when the cars cold.

thanks for your quick responses though!

I might get round to doing it this week as shes not going anywhere for other reasons.

I've been able to replace the demister cable by just removing the trim on the drivers side, if you unhook one end of the cable, you will probably find that the the sliders work fully as a test :)

Yep you can get the cables out by just removing the lower dash, though access isn't great. Be careful not to snap the control flap levers!

I have the same problem on a 95. As a temporary solution I have disconnected the windscreen cable and closed it on the windscreen. I now just use the second vent cable. This means the vent to the windscreen will always be open but I can still direct air to the other vents. I will eventually replace the cable but it will do for now.

I found when stripping it out that the hvac control unit itself was fine. Thank god for that as they seem very expensive and hard to get hold of

Andy

Edited by budhilton